Re: [casi] While Baghdad is burning...

Dear List,

Am I being unfair in seeing excessive apologising - the 'mea culpa' syndrome
as irritating & meaningless. Usually, it is those who, otherwise, put up a
very good case who are oversensitive and inclined to lick the boots of their
debating opponent. If you examine the facts,
you will probably see that those (clever or otherwise)who really do make
gross mistakes seldom apologise. So they sit back, smugly, following the
humblenesses, thinking they have won the argument, which
they often have not. What is needed, on this List, as well as in the general
anti-war movement, is more, not less, of some well-channeled aggression,
which my be hurtful to some, but is less damaging than cluster bombs. My
advice to all those terribly sorry people is: be tough, don't undermine your
own arguments by being a, sometimes rather arrogant, person's doormat. By
the way, this isn't meant to be, entirely, a joke.

Oh dear, I think I've spoken out of turn, again. Please, I didn't mean to,
really, now I feel ever so guilty. Please forgive me, I've had a bad day: my
wife has left me, I've been burgled, I've gone bankrupt, &
- worst of all - my dog has got run over. You do understand, don't you?
I should never have said what I said, you must feel ever so troubled.
I promise never, ever, again to tread on your precious toes. MEA CULPA!!

Greetings, Bert G.