[casi] report froma bombed friend's house Iraq MArch 27 2003

Iraq Diaries- from the Iraq Peace Team
seee www.iraqpeaceteam.org
or www.electroniciraq.net/news
----
 Amal, Dear Friend...
Cathy Breen, Iraq Peace Team

Amal, dear friend, I visited your once lovely home today. How heavy your
heart is. I can sense your despair and deep sadness, and I am so helpless to
console you. Glass is everywhere, shattered and strewn about, the windows
and doors now gaping holes for the raging wind and sand to enter.

Had it been by natural forces it would be easier to bear. But this
destruction is cruel and senseless. Worse yet, it is premeditated and
purposeful. It's name is war.

How bitter for you, Amal, you who have given so much to so many. How harsh
and cruel for you who cherish beauty and safeguard it for everyone to enjoy.

As we walk together over shards of glass, everything looks dismal, covered
in layers of sand. Curtains torn and rent and beloved belongings no longer
where they should be. But then nothing is as it should be. As we make our
way from room to room and through the garden area alongside the river, the
jarring boom of
bombs tell us that the destruction is not over.

Oh Amal, you whose name means hope. I beg you not to give up, but to hold
fast to hope.

Page last updated: 27 March 2003, 18:53 CST

sign the pledge of resistance to the "war on terrorism"
www.j-n-v.org