[casi] "Priest Crosses US Consul Office With His Blood" (Fwd)

He told the Consul that the US has been lying - with
the sanctions and with everything else.

<Start Fwd>
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0303/S00216.htm

Priest Crosses US Consul Office With His Blood
Monday, 24 March 2003, 3:22 pm
Article: The Scoop Editor

Why We Offer Our Blood

Today two Christians, a Dominican priest and a member of
the Catholic Worker movement, made a cross with their own
blood on the floor of the U.S. Consuls office, after
reading to him the following statement.

-------

Statement to the US Consul, by Peter Murnane O.P., and
Nicholas Drake, Catholic Worker.

Mr. Berry, we thank you for your generosity in allowing us
to meet with you today. We are here as Catholic
Christians, to address you as Consul of the United States
of America for our city, Auckland, New Zealand.

We have family in Iraq: Dominican sisters and friars
communicate with us regularly; but you too have family in
Iraq. Every human being, of whatever race, is your brother
or sister, as they are ours.

We come to speak to you about your countrys invasion of
Iraq. We deplore it as an immoral and criminal act. The
crimes attributable to your government against that
country - 2 million Iraqi dead, the countrys economy and
infrastructure destroyed dwarf the many and serious crimes
of Saddam Hussein, the worst of which were supported by
your government. This war has gone on for 12 years. In
1991 your government specifically targeted basic
infrastructure: hospitals, water treatment plants, and
electricity stations. Sanctions have denied food and
medicine to civilians. By 1997 your government had claimed
around 2 million Iraqi lives.

Your military used, and is now using again, Depleted
Uranium munitions, which are causing an epidemic of cancer
and birth defects, and will continue to kill for thousands
of years. They are a terrible weapon of mass destruction.

It is simply lying to say that the massive death and
suffering caused by your governments actions are the
unfortunate side effect of benign policies. The
predictable consequences of ones actions are not
accidental. Rather, the atrocities that your government
has visited upon the people of Iraq reveal that whatever
the motives of the U.S. government might be, human
suffering is irrelevant to them.

Mr. Berry, by continuing to work for the U.S. government
in this capacity, you are actively supporting imperialism
and genocide. We urge you and the rest of the Consulate
staff to resign in protest at your governments actions.
Some people working in crucial positions for the United
Nations, and for other governments, have already done so.
We cannot stand by as your government, against the
majority of world opinion, once more unleashes weapons of
mass destruction upon the people of Iraq, and prepares to
take direct control of a sovereign state.

Jesus Christ teaches us never to spill other peoples blood
for ourselves, but rather to offer our own blood for
others.

Your government is spilling great quantities of blood on
the soil of Iraq. Therefore:

+ In solidarity with those people whose blood you are
shedding, and

+ To make present to you the consequences of the US war,
and

+ As a covenant of our opposition, We now make the sign of
the cross with our blood on the floor, in this outpost of
the United States of America.

Peter Murnane, Dominican friar Nicholas Drake, Catholic
Worker.
<End Fwd>