[casi] RAF Fairford and UK Police

I went to a demonstration today at RAF Fairford, which is a US B52 base, used
the previous night for the shameful bombing of Baghdad. There were perhaps
10,000 demonstrators, all relatively good tempered. It all passes off without
any problems, but what shocked me most was the quantity and quality of police
involvement.

We were stopped briefly on the way down by coach by considerable police
presence in the village of Lechlade which we had to pass through. Our coach
was not boarded but a policeman with a video camera seemed to be taking some
sort of record of the passengers. Later, I heard of coaches from London which
had been stopped, boarded, and the passengers searched! One coach was
actually refused permission to continue the journey to Fairford. I am very
shocked that UK police practice has sunk to this level.

Fairford itself seemed absolutely inundated with police, from all over the
country. I didn't see, or hear about any problems of any kind. I am told that
all the policemen were wearing bullet proof clothing. I saw at least ten
perhaps twenty policemen with video cameras taking pictures of the crowds. I
cannot imagine on whose authority nor what on earth they intend to do with
them.

I am shocked.

Chris