[casi] People might ask what a Labour Government will do.

To: Hon. David Stewart MP for Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber

Hello David

I have been reading your maiden speech with great interest. I love your
stirring words of support for the workers in your constituency.

  People might ask what a Labour Government will do. Let them come to the
highlands and see the faces of the unemployed young people who have been
cast aside like unwanted pieces on a chess board. People might ask what a
Labour Government will do. Let them come to the highlands and see the
low-paid hotel workers in Nairn and Aviemore. People might ask what a Labour
Government will do. Let them come to the highlands and see the quango state
in operation--that system of patronage that would bring a blush to the
cheeks of a mediaeval monarch.

Let them come to the highlands and see the low-paid hotel workers in Nairn
and Aviemore. People might ask what a Labour Government might do.

Let me tell you. After the public sector, travel and tourism is the largest
employment sector in the highlands. However, as a result of your
government's lamentable handling of the Iraq issue, the tourism business is
according to ABTA last week 'on its knees'. For summer 2003 bookings are
down a staggering 27% - a disaster for the industry. This was not helped by
the clumsy propaganda exercise when Heathrow was encircled by tanks for
three whole days. Who would want to come to this country?

Perhaps it is morally defensible to sacrifice another 500,000 Iraqis in
order to get rid of Saddam's loathesome regime. But what has a Labour
Government done for low-paid hotel workers in Nairn and Aviemore? Why, put
them out of work altogether. What an achievement! If they are still in the
highlands by the time it comes round to vote, guess who they will be voting
for?

If Parliament ever gets to debate this issue, I know how you will be voting.

Best regards, Michael
Dower House, Lethen, Nairn