[casi] Iraqi Water Systems - Other Answers.

Dear List,

Anyone lowering the tone of debate by hurling insults & abuse,  only appears
like covering up his/her own lack of coherent argumentation. This site
should not be misused by those who don't know the meaning of the word,
'manners'.

Here is further information, which may strengthen the case that bombing
of Iraq's water systems, during the Gulf War, was deliberate policy.

U.S.'Sunday Herald', 17 Sept. 2000:"...During allied bombing campaigns
on Iraq the country's eight multi-purpose dams had been repeatedly hit,
simultaneously wrecking flood control, municipal and industrial water
storage, irrigation and hydroelectric power. Four of seven major pumping
stations were destroyed, as were 31 municipal water & sewerage
facilities - 20 in Baghdad, resulting in sewerage pouring into the Tigris.
Water purification plants were incapacitated throughout Iraq..."

>From an article (20 Feb.,1991) by Ramsay Clark, known e.g. for his book,
'War Crimes. A Report of United States War Crimes Against Iraq'.
"In the cities and towns we visited, there was no "collateral" military
damage, only civilian sites were destroyed. City bridges, telephone
exchanges, electric generator plants, water processing and pumping stations,
even government office buildings are essentially civilian and
entirely noncombatant. We saw no evidence of a military presence,
withdrawal, or damage in any of the bombed areas we examined."

>From a CNN Special Report, 'The Unfinished War: A Decade Since Desert
Storm', 16 Jan., 2001. "...(Dennis)Halliday is a former assistant
secretary-general of the United Nations in Iraq. In 1997 he was appointed
the humanitarian coordinator. In 1998 he resigned in protest...Halliday has
also leveled another charge. According to international health experts,
epidemics of cholera, dysentery and hepatitis have plagued Iraq. These
diseases come from water-borne contamination. Halliday blames this
contamination on the targeting of Iraq's infrastructure during the Gulf War.
- He points to a recently declassified U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency
document that was issued at the start of the conflict, laying out Iraq's
vulnerable water situation. The document also acknowledges that a shortage
of water could
"lead to increased incidences, if not epidemics, of disease. - "I think
there's no doubt whatsoever that the Americans had worked out the
vulnerability of Iraq in terms of clean fresh water," Halliday says. "So
they set about destroying electrical power capacity, which is essential,
of course, for the treatment and distribution of water..."

Greetings,  Bert G.