[casi] A Clarification for Mohammed

I was unaware that Mohammed had posted his queries to the list, but now that I have seen them,
perhaps I should forward my clarification to all...just in case there should be any lingering
doubts!

Dear Mohammed

I am only too happy to confirm my intended use of irony to describe the
Kurdish people as 'Saddam's'. I had intended the irony to be apparent
through the inclusion of the phrase within the same paragraph as my
disparaging comments and my previous use of the word 'own' within inverted
commas. However, I am well aware of the limitations of 'written speech' and
I am pleased to reassure you that I do not regard the Kurds as 'Saddam's
people' any more than I regard the Iraqis as belonging to him.

You write about how irony is conventionally expressed in writing, but I
think you have missed one other telltale sign, the setting of any comment in
the context in which it is made. I hope that my previous posts and the
general message of the post in question, will leave you in no doubt to my
admiration for and solidarity towards the Kurdish people, oppressed by both
the Iraqi and Turkish governments.

Finally, I would caution against your assertion that 'the actual meaning is
as I have understood it'. As communication studies would have us believe,
*I* am the only person who knows the actual *meaning* of what I wrote!
Unfortunately, I was not as clear as I could have been and this has led to
your erroneous *interpretation* of what I wrote. I hope that the matter is
now resolved.

Yours in solidarity and friendship,

Diarmuid