[casi] Invading Iraq: Satire from The Onion (28 Aug 02)

Satire often effectively separates spin from that which seems to be plain.
With that in mind below is a satirical "person on the street" interview from
the US publication "The Onion".

Source:  The Onion, Vol. 38, No. 31, 28 August 2002,
http://www.theonion.com/onion3831/wdyt_3831.html

[begin]

Determined to oust Saddam Hussein, President Bush has been attempting to
rally support for an invasion of Iraq. What do you think?

"The time to invade Iraq is now. If we wait, cooler heads might prevail."
- Rich Dobbs, Truck Driver

"Ousting Saddam would at long last pave the way for a corrupt, unstable,
pseudo-democratic puppet government with friendly ties to Washington."
- Douglas Glass, Dentist

"Even Brent Scowcroft is against this, and that guy spends his weekends
pipebombing puppy kennels."
- Chuck Barker, Landscaper

"Well, I'm against it, but I'm probably in the minority, along with many
Republicans, all non-Republicans, and the entire rest of the world."
- Marty Ross, Systems Analyst

"Isn't it funny how people say they'll never grow up to be their parents,
then one day they look in the mirror and they're moving aircraft carriers
into the Gulf region?"
- Rachel Weitz, Student

"After all Bush has done for us, can't we let him have just this one thing?"
- Maria Davillo, Painter

[end]

Nathaniel Hurd
90 7th Ave.