[casi] Tom Levitt replies

The latest from my MP:

...that the UK govt is conspiring to commit an act of genocide against ordinary Iraqi civilians is
absurd and offensive. Even those who were more [sic] enthusaistic about the Gulf War than I was,
for example, would not accept that any genocide was committed wither then or since by allied
forces. The genoicde of Iraqi Kurds by Suddam Hussain [sic]] himself remains one of the greatest
war crimes of the 20th century.

4. Again I absolutely agree that a political rather than a military solution is preferable. Having
this view is not the renunciation of military activity in all its forms, however, and I will not be
signing any "Pledge of Resistance". It is nonsense to suggest that 'any military action would not
only be immoral but also illegal'. Britain in particular has said that any military activity would
require UN and legal backing and many see a moral imperative in removing Saddam!

I hope that this is helpful. However, each of your letters on this subject to date seems to
polarise our position when I am seeking common ground with you and I regret this.

And here's my reply to the dear man who receives Stg£55 000 a year plus expenses and an
astonishingly generous living allowance and pension to defend the indefensible:

Dear Tom

Thank you once again for your response. I hope it will not cause you too much annoyance if I
address a couple of the points that your letter raised.

1.                 I chose the word 'genocide' carefully when referring to the actions of the
UK/USA governments. However, my intention was neither to appear absurd nor to cause offence. I note
your comment that each of my letters seeks to polarise our position, and I wonder how labelling
somebody's comment as 'absurd and offensive' is designed to do anything other than polarise.
Nevertheless, I would like to remind you that this 'absurd and offensive' comment has been made by
people as eminent (and as directly involved) as Dennis Halliday and Hans von Sponeck. I accept that
it is unlikely that the UK government is intending to wipe the Iraqi people off the face of the
earth, but I firmly believe that the UK government is prepared to accept the deaths of millions in
order to achieve its goal in Iraq. One jurist argues that this means that it would be difficult to
prove the case of genocide in an international court of law, but the charge of 'extermination'
remains. For myself, this is mere semantics and, in the words of Dennis Halliday, 'the semantics
are irrelevant'.

  2.. My 'nonsensical' suggestion that 'any military action would not only be immoral but also
illegal' is far from being nonsensical. Were the US and the UK to unilaterally press ahead with
their wish to attack the Iraqi nation, it would be illegal. The immorality of effecting 'regime
change' in a sovereign state by killing that State's citizens is, I suggest, as plain as the nose
on Pinnochio's face. Fortunately, the percentage of people who share my concerns is growing and
includes some highly respected names. The Prime Minister will find it very hard to ignore
parliamentary procedure before he sends British citizens off to kill and be killed.

  3.. When we seem to be polarised, it might be worth remembering the common ground that we share.
We both believe in political as opposed to military solutions. We both have admiration and respect
for those people who wish to live their lives according to their lights and, it would seem, we both
have a very low impression of the President of Iraq and his domestic policies. Where we differ is
in our tactics. My hope has been that this exchange would encourage you to question the line being
sold relentlessly to the people and, in so doing, allow you to represent the views of your
constituents who are opposed to death being rained down upon our Iraqi brothers and sisters, but
whose voices are silenced by the media.

With best wishes

Diarmuid Fogarty