[casi] bounty?

thanks to Estell of KNK for this.

Has anyone heard of this $50,000 (below) bounty offered by the Iraqi regime
on heads of aid workers in Kurdistan?? Maybe I've been asleep. but it is new
to me. best, f.

 Long-Buried Land Mines Still Taking a Toll on Kurds
Groups working to clear war zones fear another invasion could reverse
hard-won gains.
Los Angeles Times
by AMBERIN ZAMAN
August 6, 2002

DIYANAH, Iraq -- The temptation to kick around an empty tin can--why
is it so irresistible? That is the question 13-year-old Hawkar Mostafa
continues to ask himself as he sits in a wheelchair, his right leg amputated
at the knee.

Hawkar lost his leg in late April after setting off what he discovered--too
late--was a land mine.

"I was gathering herbs with my friends in the mountains when I saw
this rusty old can and kicked it," recalled the freckled youth,
mustering a wry grin. "Nothing happened, and I kicked it again, and the
next thing I knew I was flying in the air."

Hawkar, who lives in this remote mountain town bordering Iran, is among
scores of Iraqi Kurds
injured every year in land mine accidents in the Kurdish-controlled north, a
region that is counted
among the world's grimmest war zones.

"Iraqi Kurdistan is easily one of the riskiest areas in terms of unexploded
land mines and military
ordnance," said Michael Parker of the Mines Advisory Group, a British
nongovernmental organization
that specializes in mine-clearing operations in various countries.

The group has demarcated about 230 square miles of mined territory and
destroyed 85,000 land
mines--mainly along the Iranian border--in the decade since it began
clearance work in northern Iraq.

Between 5 million and 10 million land mines are thought to be still buried
under the flower-carpeted
mountains near the border with Iran, Parker said. The majority are believed
to have been planted
during the eight-year war between Iran and Iraq that ended in 1988.

Kurdish rebels who until three years ago fought an insurgency against
Turkey's army are also known to
have laid thousands of mines along the Turkish-Iraqi border.

As speculation grows about a U.S.-led military operation to overthrow Iraqi
President Saddam
Hussein, many officials here voice concern that years of painstaking
de-mining work will be seriously
disrupted, if not undone.

"Land mines have long been a curse for the Kurdish people, and with each war
the problem gets
worse," said Sami Abdurrahman, a senior official in the self-styled Kurdish
regional administration that
has been running northern Iraq since the end of the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

"Thousands of my people have been maimed, killed. We want this suffering to
end."

Parker says his group concentrates chiefly on minefields that are close to
villages, where the risk of
accidents is greatest.

Up in the Balek Valley about 19 miles northeast of Diyanah, workers with the
Mines Advisory Group,
weighed down by heavy flak jackets and helmets, do much of their mine
detection on impossibly steep,
gravelly slopes.

"One slip of the foot, and boom, we could get killed," said Wirya Mustafa
Ali, an Iraqi Kurd who
supervises work in what locals call the Valley of Death.

The other danger is Hussein. The Iraqi leader has put a $50,000 bounty on
the head of all Western aid
workers in northern Iraq, saying they are spies for the United States.

The Kurdish enclave, protected by U.S. and British warplanes patrolling a
"no-fly" zone, has remained
outside Baghdad's control since the end of the Gulf War.

In 1998, a car bomb, thought to have been planted by Iraqi agents, went off
outside the Mines
Advisory Group's headquarters in the city of Sulaymaniyah.

Donor contributions have dwindled, Parker said, since the 1997 death of
Britain's Princess Diana, who
was a leading advocate for a worldwide ban on land mines.

"With Diana gone, land mines have slipped off the public's agenda," he said.

According to Iraqi Kurdish officials, the greatest challenge of all is
creating awareness of the land mine
problem among locals. One way is to train Islamic clerics, who can warn
their congregations against
collecting firewood and herbs in demarcated areas.

Booklets with pictures of different types of mines and shells published by
Parker's group are handed
out to schoolchildren and to those smuggling alcohol and tobacco between
Iraq and Iran, who, with
farmers, are considered the highest-risk groups.

Eighty families live in the village of Derbend in the Balek Valley, and at
least one member of every
family has suffered a mine injury.

Ismail Mustafa Nabi, a 49-year-old farmer, lost his legs when he set off a
mine as he was planting
wheat 18 years ago. His 14-year-old daughter, Safiya, lost an eye after
picking up an unexploded
mortar shell near their house last year.

Nabi, who has nine children, sounds undaunted.

"I am ready to give my daughter's hand [in marriage] for free, to anyone who
offers me a second wife,"
he said. "Legs or no legs, life goes on, and I intend to enjoy every minute
I have left."