[casi] to Gabriels response

Well, I'm sorry you didn't like my suggestion Gabriel, and while I'm certainly thankful for groups
such as Voices in the Wilderness who are doing what they can, I honestly don't believe the presence
of a few "seasoned protestors" will be enough to stop the US from dropping those bombs. It has
already been shown that the US government does not particularly value the lives or civil or human
rights of professional protestors. It was shown in Seattle, at the WTO protests, it is shown to be
the case when Green Peace protestors are shot at, or run over, by the coast guard, it was shown to
be the case, as far back as the Vietnam war, when unarmed college protestors were gunned down by
the National Guard. Over 40 children, at Waco, each and every one of them American citizens, was
not enough to stop swat teams from setting the compound on fire, and burning everyone alive. There
was no compassion shown for mothers and infants at Ruby Ridge. I'm not sure why you say it would be
a "PR disaster". (Maybe you could explain that one to me, a little better?) Whatever works, I
think, is what's important, whatever stops those bombs from falling, whatever prevents another
Iraqi child from dying of starvation, bad water, or lack of medical care. I'm not sure "PR" should
be the top priority here, since the people involved would not be doing it, to further their
political or "professional activist careers", they would be doing it, out of a strong sense of
urgency and need to save these peoples lives, through whatever means necessary. The kind of protest
I am talking about, would be more like a massive exodus of American, British, and other foreign
citizens, who would not necessarily be professional activists, just ordinary people who care very
much about what is going on there. (enough to risk their lives, in fact) I don't personally believe
small groups of professional protestors will ever be enough to prevent "Uncle Sam" from nuking
Baghdad, or completely annihilating the Iraqi people, they will just call that "collateral damage",
or "unavoidable civilian casualties", and move on. However, if a very large number of ordinary
citizens (men, women, and children) were to protest in such a manner, that would be a bit different
scenario. Of course, it would not be easy, it would be very difficult, it would require the
cooperation of the Iraqi government, and quite a bit of help from them, as well. Imagine, if you
will, tent cities encamped all around Iraq, full of foreign citizens, thousands of people, entire
families, saying, "if you bomb them, you bomb us", now THAT would make a statement, that would be
harder for the US government to ignore, or to pass off as "acceptable casualties". Of course, only
people with a truly serious commitment to this cause, would be able to do this, it would not be a
job for "career activists", who intend to live on, to protest again, somewhere else, this would
only be for those who are willing to risk their very lives, as there is no guarantee that Uncle Sam
will not drop the bomb on it's own, at this point.