[casi] Reply from Tom Levitt MP

You may remember the letter to my MP I posted on 9 June 2002. His reply arrived today. It reads as
follows:

<snap> Saddam Hussein knows very well that he is in breach of several UN resolutions in respect of
the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. If he allows UN inspectors back into his country,
the sanctions can be lifted. Those sanctions have already been significantly modified to ensure
that they need not cause any problems in respect of getting food and medicine, for example, to the
Iraqi people. Unfortunately, the history of Iraq is such that their President always ensures that
it is the people, rather than the ruling class, who bear the brunt of any hardship. The solution to
this, it seems, should be in the hands of the Iraqi people themselves. </snip>

My reply will point out that the sanctions were never intended to ensure that SH complied with UN
inspectors (leaving aside the fact that they turned out to be spies!); the modifications of the
sanctions have been dismissed by observers as having little effect on the suffering of the Iraqi
people and the potential to actually worsen things; that it is not only the history of Iraq ehich
ensures the suffering of the people rather than the ruling class, but every country throughout the
world; that the Iraqi people should not be punished for the sins of their political class; that the
sanctions regime not only punishes the Iraqi people, but also works actively against his claim that
the people should be the ones to direct their future: a starving, broken people are unlikely to
effect substantial political change. However, new as I am to this area, I would greatly welcome any
feedback/contributions.

I hasten to add that I am not so naive as to believe that writing to my MP will effect any change.
However, I hope that there is the possibility that he will be forced to question his conscience and
maybe even put people's human rights above his career development.

In solidarity
Diarmuid