From: South Asia Solidarity
Subject: URGENT! STOP THE WAR DEMO 2nd March

BUSH AND BLAIR ARE PLANNING 'PHASE TWO'

DON'T LET THEM DO IT IN YOUR NAME!

Dear Friends

URGENT: STOP THE WAR DEMONSTRATION 2nd March

ASIAN WOMEN UNITE! and SOUTH ASIA SOLIDARITY GROUP are building a
contingent for this demonstration and hope you will march with us.

PLEASE BRING YOUR BANNER IF YOU HAVE ONE AND MEET US AT EXIT 9

OF MARBLE ARCH UNDERGROUND STATION BETWEEN 12.00 AND 12.30PM

It is particularly important to be at this demonstration because:

    Bush and Blair are now about to launch 'Phase 2' of the war, planning
    a new attack on Iraq whose people have already faced immense
    suffering as a result of sanctions

    Bombing and military attacks on Afghanistan are continuing. The
    result of the war has been to bring back the Northern Alliance -
    notorious for their brutality and violence against women - to rule
    over devastated cities while thousands have become refugees

    The US continues to violate basic international laws in its inhuman
    treatment of prisoners taken in Afghanistan

    India and Pakistan are being pushed to the brink of war while arms
    dealers in Britain and the US increase their profits from arms sales
    to both sides. The Indian army is already carrying out joint
    exercises with US troops in Kashmir, Alaska and Mizoram in North-East
    India.

    New fronts of Bush and Blair's terrorist war are being opened:
    American troops are already in the Phillipines and Somalia

    The war is being used as a cover for the escalation of Israeli
    attacks on the Palestinian people

    State racism in Britain has escalated, with a new offensive against
    black people's rights as citizens, while racist attacks on the street
    and particularly anti-Muslim racism increase too.

    The repressive legislation brought in by the British government under
    the pretext of combatting 'terrorism' continues to be used daily to
    imprison without trial and deny people basic civil liberties

Asian Women Unite! are asking all Asian women’s groups and individuals to
link up and march together in the National Stop the War Demonstration on
March 2

We feel that Asian women should have a strong and visible presence at
this demonstration because:

    Women’s voices have been silenced in all the rhetoric around the war

    This war has already hit women hardest - the majority of refugees and
    victims of the bombing in Afghanistan are women and children.

    This war will have a devastating impact on all our countries of
    origin in South Asia, further strengthening forces which are
    oppressive of women

    All of us as Asian women in Britain are potentially under threat with
    the rise in racist attacks and anti-Muslim racism much of which
    specifically targets women

    The media has portrayed all opposition to the war among Asians as
    coming from ‘fanatical’ supporters of Al Qaeda. As Asian women we
    must assert our position.

Asian Women Unite!

c/o Londec,293-299 Kentish

Town Road London NW5 2TJ