Powell House Testimony Excerpts (As Delivered - 6 Feb 02)

Source: Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, testimony (as delivered), budget
hearings, House of Representatives International Relations Committee, 6
February 2002, http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2002/7857.htm

[begin]

...We also have continuing problems with those nations that the President
identified on the "axis of evil," and there are others that could have been
tossed into this camp. With respect to Iraq, for example, the President made
it clear: let the inspectors in. You have seen speculation in the press
lately that the Iraqis want to discuss this. As I said yesterday to some of
your Senate colleagues, there isn't much to discuss. We know what the
resolution calls for: you let the inspectors in. You're the ones who claim
you don't have these weapons of mass destruction; let the inspectors in.
You're the ones who say that we're denying food and goods for your people.
Smart sanctions will take care of that; let the inspectors in. But without
conditions, we don't trust you. That's why we need inspectors, and that's
why they have to be free to do it any way that they think is appropriate to
establish that you are not conducting the kinds of activities that we
suspect you of, which you claim you are not doing.

[end]

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.