Re: Pencils and Sanction Deaths

Hello all,
I'm very surprised !!! Who says the dead rate has come down since 1998? Who
says???? I was in Iraq last year (july 2001), and I brought home some
statistics. Also the annual report of UNICEF 2000 (the most recent one at
the time). The dead rate did certainly NOT come down !!! On the contrary. In
the UNICEF report, I can read: "ongoing degradation of infrastructure",
which is the main reason for the increase of chiild mortality: lack of clear
water. And another title: "continuing high levels of malnutrition". What
does that mean? Plus, the statistics of the Iraqi Ministry of Health also
show an increase of the dead rate. But of course, these figures "can't be
trusted"; which I find "not fair". In the UNICEF report of 2000 I can also
read: "Nutrition surveys carried out by UNICEF as well as the FAO/WFP
nutrition assassment mission in May 2000, show that since the introduction
of the Oil for Food Programme in 1996 the nutritional status of children has
not improved". What does that mean, do you think? That child-mortality
reduced over the last 3 years? Let's be serious!!!
I had no intention of reacting on this, because I have good, but also bad
experiences with the sometimes "hair-splitting" discussions on this matter.
The discussion about correct figures is a good one, because it helps
everyone to discuss with reliable figures, and I thank the CASI-list for the
high level of the discussions and correct answers we receive. But we have no
gain to under-estimate figures. Because that also hurts our credibility. I
also deeply value Colin's encylopedic knowledge of Iraq, but why did this
knowledge suddenly left him when he said that mortality-figures came down
"substantially", when that is not true???? I can't see the logic in that,
when on the one hand he is so furious if some journalist exaggerates, but on
the other hand he under-estimates the exact number of deaths. And about the
pencils: I had the same discussion with Gabriel of VIW-UK. There is still a
problem with pencils, because a) there is a very severe control of the
sanction committee, a control that we witnessed in Basra, and b) one can not
import enough pencils to fill the gap of the period 1990-1996. The other
discussion I started, was about the contracts on hold. I was attacked by a
number of CASI-members, because I used Iraqi figures. But what do I see?
They attacked me because the Iraqi said the total amount of the contracts on
hold was 6 billion $, while the official Western figure at that time was 4
billion$. But in the last UNIOP weekly update of 15 dec.2001-4 jan2002, the
total value of "holds" reached just under 5 billion$, thus increased with 1
billion $. So who is right in this case? My plead to trust official Iraqi
figures was correct, because in the end, the "holds" will almost certainly
reach the Iraqi figure of 6 billion $.
So, before having a hair-splitting discussion about matters that you maybe
know well on paper, it is good to have a look at the reality inside the
country. That might help to bring this discussion in perspective. We are
campaigners against sanctions primarily because we are disgusted about the
genocidal politics of the US-UK administration. Or am I wrong? We will not
convince the warlords Bush, Blair &co, by a correction of the figures.
And I will give the same answer as I gave to Gabriel: the article of Omar
Al-Taher had the right spirit. The author was indignant at the human tragedy
because of the sanctions. That is a good start for campaigning against
sanctions, and that's why I liked the article very much: it came from the
heart. I could understand that Colin wanted to try to correct some figures,
but he attacked the journalist severely, and I think that was wrong.
That's why I also understood the furious reaction of Salwa, and the reaction
of Rahul.
Correct figures is one thing. But Colin's reaction also could have been
written by a journalist of let's say: the Washington Post, and then I start
asking questions.
I hope I didn't upset anyone. Colin, I await your reaction on this.
Greetings.
Dirk.