Re: HOAX FW: warning:you may have a virus in your computer

In support of Eric's warning, I have pasted restoration instructions below for those of you who did indeed delete the file.

Per Klevnäs

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q301316

Description of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program File (Q301316)

SUMMARY

This article describes the Sulfnbk.exe utility and how to restore it if it is deleted.

MORE INFORMATION

Sulfnbk.exe is a Windows utility that is used to restore long file names. This utility is not required to run Windows, but it is necessary if you need to restore long files names if they become damaged or corrupted.

If this utility is removed, you can restore it by following the steps in the appropriate section of this article.

Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

To extract files in Windows Me, use the System Configuration utility:
  1. Click Start , and then click Run .

  2. Type msconfig , and then press ENTER.

  3. Click Extract Files . The Extract one file from installation disk dialog box is displayed.

  4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive :\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe (where drive is the drive on which the Windows folder is installed, usually drive C), and then click Start . The Extract File dialog box is displayed.

  5. Click Browse , and then browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If the installation files were copied to the hard disk, this location is C:\Windows\Options\Install by default. You can also insert the Windows Me installation CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then browse to that location

  6. Click OK , and then follow the instructions.

Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition

To extract files in Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition, use the System File Checker tool:
  1. Click Start , and then click Run .

  2. Type sfc , and then press ENTER.

  3. Click Extract one file from installation disk .

  4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive :\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe (where drive is the drive on which the Windows folder is installed, usually drive C), and then click Start . The Extract File dialog box is displayed.

  5. Next to the Restore from box, click Browse , and then browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If the installation files were copied to the hard disk, this location is C:\Windows\Options\Cabs by default. You can also insert the Windows installation CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive and browse to that location.

  6. Click OK , and then follow the instructions.

Windows 95

To extract files in Windows 95, use the extract command. You can also use the extract command to extract files from Windows 98 or Windows Me if necessary.
  1. Click Start , point to Find or Search , and then click Files or Folders .

  2. In the Look in box, click drive C. Click to select the Include subfolders check box.

  3. In the Named or Search for box, type precopy1 .

  4. Click Find Now or Search Now . If the Precopy1 file does not exist on the hard disk, insert the Windows installation CD-ROM and repeat the search on the CD-ROM drive.

  5. When you find the Precopy1 file, note the location of the file (for example, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs). This is your source path.

  6. Click Start , and then click Run .

  7. The general form of the extract command is:

    extract source path \precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command
    For example, if the source path is C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, the extract command is
    extract drive :\windows\options\cabs\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L drive :\windows\command
    where drive is the drive on which Windows is installed (typically drive C).

    Type the following command, making the appropriate substitutions as previously noted:
    extract source path \precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command
  8. Click OK .

For additional information about extracting files in Windows, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
For additional information about long file names, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q142982 How Windows Generates 8.3 File Names from Long File Names
For information about the virus hoax regarding this file, see the following Symantec Web site:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html
The third-party contact information included in this article is provided to help you find the technical support you need. This contact information is subject to change without notice. Microsoft in no way guarantees the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Published Jun 8 2001 10:28AM Issue Type kbhowto
Last Modifed Jul 5 2001 12:27PM Additional Query Words name removed replaced > WMEHEMJUN w98hemjun w98hemjul wmehemjul
Keywords win98 kbWinME kbWin95 kbWin98 kbWin98SE