(1) Milan to Iraq ... and to the bookshelves of Minneapolis. (2) Other lit notes.

Title: (1) Milan to Iraq ... and to the bookshelves of Minneapolis. (2) Other lit notes.

Friends,

Milan Rai, Kathy Kelly, and others from Voices in the Wilderness are scheduled to depart soon for Iraq -- a courageous act in the best of times, even more heroic now.

So it seemed a good omen this weekend as I stumbled across Milan's book ("Chomsky's Politics", Verso 1995) prominently shelved at one of the larger chain bookstores in Minneapolis.  It's still out there, Milan.  Godspeed to you and the delegation.

Other literary notes:
Martin Amis <http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4259170,00.html>
"It will also be horribly difficult and painful for Americans to absorb the fact that they are hated, and hated intelligibly. How many of them know, for example, that their government has destroyed at least 5% of the Iraqi population?"

Salmon Rushdie <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55876-2001Oct1.html>
"Better judgment will be required on all sides in future. No more Sudanese aspirin factories to be bombed, please. And now that wise American heads appear to have understood that it would be wrong to bomb the impoverished, oppressed Afghan people in retaliation for their tyrannous masters' misdeeds, they might apply that wisdom, retrospectively, to what was done to the impoverished, oppressed people of Iraq. It's time to stop making enemies and start making friends."

Arundhati Roy <http://www.southendpress.org/books/iraq.shtml>
"For ordinary citizens sanctions are just another kind of dictatorship. Remote-controlled, seemingly civilized, they actually, literally, squeeze the very breath from babies' bodies."

Regards,
Drew Hamre