Re: hysterical 'whack Iraq now' piece from today's Guardian

Hello, all. This looks to me like an outright lie, the kind of thing people
like Safire do in times like these. My guess is Saddam would never
seriously engage with the "Arab Afghan" types because he would see them as
the primary threat to his regime. Everyone in Iraq is beginning to see
Saddam and his regime as weak and corrupt, and the illusion of rectitude
and strength that these fundamentalist terrorists project might speak to
many, especially in the north, where there was less modernization, less
equality for women, etc. ...

A question: Does anybody have concrete information that can be used to
refute these claims, and, in fact, any allegations of connection between
bin Laden and Hussein?

As far as my reading has taken me, al-Qaeda does not have Iraqi members.
Presumably the Iraq connection is partly to provide a satisfying target to
bomb, partly to take the opportunity to remove a thorn while they get the
chance.

In solidarity,

Rahul Mahajan