Powell Seems to Link Sanctions and Suffering (20 Feb 01)

Although U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell does not explicitly define "containment," the
reporter's question and Powell's response together suggest "containment" has been and is at least
sanctions plus the "no-fly" zones and gives sanctions primacy.  If sanctions are and have been
"containment['s]" primary component, then Powell seems to acknowledge the relationship between
sanctions and "hurt[ing]" the Iraqi people."

"Containment has been a successful policy, and I think we should make sure that we continue it
until such time as Saddam Hussein comes into compliance with the agreements he made at the end of
the war. But we have to find ways to do it to not hurt the Iraqi people."

For source information, the reporter's question and Powell's full answer, please see below.

http://www.state.gov/secretary/index.cfm?docid=613
Press Availability with German Minister of Foreign Affairs Joschka Fischer

Secretary Colin L. Powell
Washington, DC
February 20, 2001

Q: Secretary Powell, the US has put a lot of effort and time, money, and risking American lives in
patrolling the no-fly zones over Iraq. Do you think the results have been worth that effort? And as
the Administration goes forward in looking at Iraq policy, do you expect containment to be the
bottom line still?

SECRETARY POWELL: Well, we're looking at every option in all parts of our policy: the UN part of
our policy which requires Iraq to give up these weapons of mass destruction, and of course we have
our own policies with respect to Iraq where we believe a change of regime would be in the best
interest of all concerned.

The fact of the matter is that both baskets, the UN basket and what we and other allies have been
doing in the region, have succeeded in containing Saddam Hussein and his ambitions. His forces are
about one-third their original size. They don't really possess the capability to attack their
neighbors the way they did ten years ago.

The danger he presents to the world is that he does pursue weapons of mass destruction, against the
agreements that he entered into. So we will be talking with our friends in the region -- that's the
purpose of my trip this weekend -- and we are reviewing with the Pentagon and all other parts of
the US Government the full range of options available to us. And we will be announcing our
decisions in due course.

Containment has been a successful policy, and I think we should make sure that we continue it until
such time as Saddam Hussein comes into compliance with the agreements he made at the end of the
war. But we have to find ways to do it to not hurt the Iraqi people. We are not after the Iraqi
people. We don't want to hurt the Iraqi people. But we don't want Saddam Hussein and his efforts to
hurt the people of the region or to threaten the people of the region. And that's what it's all
about.