message from Treasury

Hello all,

The quote below was just sent out on the Cambridge Green List. Although it
refers to the jubilee 2000 campaign and has nothing to do directly with
Iraq, I though it was a particularly good incentive for us to keep writing
away to the FCO and our MPs. I was very cheered by it, anyway!
Abi

"One of my lasting memories is of the Treasury official who complained to
me about the number of letters he received from Jubilee 2000
supporters.  They were well informed, he said, "too damn well
informed!"  People wrote about poor countries' debt-to-export
ratios; about their pre-cut-off date debt; about whether it was correct to
base predictions on the net present value as opposed to the nominal value
of the debt.  This official was particularly struck by a letter
challenging the Treasury's assertion that Uganda has had massive debt
relief from her last Paris club rescheduling - and pointing out that only
Uganda's pre-cut-off date debt had been included.  "The letter," he said,
"was written on pink notepaper, with a little posy of roses in the
corner! WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?"  - Ann Petitifor,Jubilee 2000