GW Bush Answers Sanc. Q. (NPR-21 Oct 00)

Note that the complete story follows the excerpted sanctions' question and Republican presidential
candidate George W. Bush's answer to that question.

National Public Radio (NPR)
SHOW: WEEKEND EDITION SATURDAY (12:00 Noon PM ET)
October 21, 2000, Saturday
LENGTH: 942 words
HEADLINE: BUSH CAMPAIGN GOES TO NEW ENGLAND
ANCHORS: SCOTT SIMON
REPORTERS: STEVE INSKEEP
BODY:
SCOTT SIMON, host:

INSKEEP: Even as they argue their differences on the issues, the candidates are also dealing with
legacies. Gore is still
calibrating the best way to gain from Bill Clinton's accomplishments without being stained by his
scandals. George W. Bush has generally avoided too many public references to a different president,
but this week the idea of inheritance seemed to slip almost subliminally into his appearances. Not
once, but twice, Bush held events inside family owned companies this week. Both times, the campaign
arranged for Bush to be introduced by young people who had gone into their fathers' businesses. This
week, former first lady Barbara Bush campaigned for her son, and this week Bush also found himself
defending his father's
record. At a town hall meeting outside Manchester, New Hampshire, college senior Laura Walsh(ph)
raised her hand.

Ms. LAURA WALSH (College Senior): I have a question about the sanctions on Iraq which were
implemented by your father
10 years ago. Ever since then, 2,000 kids under the age of five have died every month, and
Madeleine Albright said that the
price is worth it to make Saddam Hussein pay. And I was wondering what you would do to help the
suffering of the children,
because it's not Saddam Hussein that's suffering, and it's not his administration that's being
affected, and these children are the ones that are dying.

Gov. BUSH: Yeah.

Ms. WALSH: And what would you do to stop it?

Gov. BUSH: He ought to be feeding his children, and it's inexcusable that he's not. We shouldn't be
blaming US policy for the fact that this man is a tyrant and this man is not taking care of his own
people.

National Public Radio (NPR)
SHOW: WEEKEND EDITION SATURDAY (12:00 Noon PM ET)
October 21, 2000, Saturday
LENGTH: 942 words
HEADLINE: BUSH CAMPAIGN GOES TO NEW ENGLAND
ANCHORS: SCOTT SIMON
REPORTERS: STEVE INSKEEP
BODY:
SCOTT SIMON, host:

President Clinton will apparently be getting a little more involved in the contest to succeed him.
Vice President Al Gore says that he wants the president's help in the campaign's final days, though
perhaps not too much of it. Mr. Clinton is expected to try to help excite traditional Democratic
voters. He's already begun questioning the statements and the record of Texas Governor
George W. Bush. The Republican candidate spent the end of his work week in New England trying to
excite his supporters.
NPR's Steve Inskeep is covering the Bush campaign.

STEVE INSKEEP reporting:

The state of Maine didn't vote for his father in 1992, nor did it vote for Bob Dole four years
later, but yesterday George W.
Bush told a crowd of Maine supporters he wants to change that.

Governor GEORGE W. BUSH (Republican Presidential Candidate): I'm here in Bangor, Maine, asking for
the vote. Maine's an important state. I want to win these delegates!

(Soundbite of cheering)

INSKEEP: Maine has only four electoral votes. In this close election, the campaigns are challenging
each other for several small states that could make a difference.

Gov. BUSH: So one of my reasons for coming is to say Maine's important, but so are you. I'm
counting on you in the next
nearly two weeks to find a neighbor, convince a friend to go to the polls.

INSKEEP: Bush's advisers say the election has shifted slightly in their favor. They say Bush made
it through the last presidential
debate without any disaster that might change that trend. In an interview this week with late-night
comedian David Letterman,
Bush suggested he exceeded the low expectations set for him.

(Soundbite from "The Late Show")

Gov. BUSH: There are a lot of folks that don't think I can, you know, string a sentence together.

Mr. DAVID LETTERMAN: Yeah.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Gov. BUSH: And so when I was able to do so, it...

Mr. LETTERMAN: Right.

Gov. BUSH: Expectations were so low, all I had to do was say, 'Hi, I'm George W. Bush.'

(Soundbite of laughter)

INSKEEP: Since the debate, both candidates have sharpened their arguments on taxes, Social Security
and health care. Bush
continues to accuse Gore of exaggerations. Vice President Gore says Bush misstated his own
positions on some issues.
Speaking last night in New Orleans, Gore suggested Bush is just a mouthpiece.

Vice President AL GORE (Democratic Presidential Candidate): You get somebody in there that is
beholden to the special
interests, whose primary mission is to give you a lot of gobbledygook to make it seem like change
is coming, to make it seem like things are improving, but then to turn around and do exactly what
the HMOs and the oil companies and the insurance
companies and the drug companies want, you won't ever get change. But I promise you this: You stick
with me, and I'll give you changes that give you more choices.

[...]

INSKEEP: It was the last question of the meeting. The younger George Bush stepped out of the hall
and raced on to the next
campaign rally--that event in the state of Maine, just a short distance from the oceanside house
where his father spent part of
his presidency.

(Soundbite of cheering and applause)

Gov. BUSH: Thanks so very much for coming. I've spent a little bit of time in your state.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Gov. BUSH: About three miles south of here.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Gov. BUSH: What a beautiful place you've got.

INSKEEP: But if anyone was trying to drop hints of a dynasty, Bush also got a tiny reminder that
things can still go wrong. He
was speaking in a cavernous airplane hangar full of supporters. As always, his campaign staff stood
by, ready to cue loud music
the moment Bush finished his speech. It seemed that he did finish, but then he started up again
just as the music began.

(Soundbite of cheering)

Gov. BUSH: But let me also tell you...

(Soundbite of music)

Unidentified Man: (Singing) ...we run the country...

Gov. BUSH: Hold on.

INSKEEP: At the edge of the crowd, the campaign staff took the premature cue, firing masses of
confetti into the air. On stage,
the candidate still wanted to finish speaking. 'Hold on,' he said. 'Hold on.'

Gov. BUSH: Hold on.

(Soundbite of music)

Unidentified Man: (Singing) ...on the telephone line. And every (unintelligible) is working hard
for those...

Gov. BUSH: And let me tell you this. They got a little itchy on the trigger there.

(Soundbite of laughter)

INSKEEP: It was too late to recall the confetti, so Bush spoke on, shouting into the microphone as
blue and gold paper filled
the air, fluttering down on his audience. Steve Inskeep, NPR News, Bangor, Maine.

Gov. BUSH: Thank you all for coming. God bless.

LANGUAGE: English
LOAD-DATE: October 22, 2000