Re: Amnesty Petition - UK members PLEASE READ

I sent this a year ago and got no reply - not even an
acknowledgement.

From:                   Self <mark>
To:                     info@amnesty.org.uk
Subject:                Iraq
Date sent:              Thu, 18 Feb 1999 19:01:46

I am very concerned that AI seems to have done nothing about the
situation in Iraq.

The US and the UK are maintaining a ferocious assault on the Iraqi
people and their fundamental human rights. The main instrument has
been the sanctions which cannot be relaxed as these two states hold a
veto in the UN Security Council. This follows the Gulf War when
civilian infrastructure was deliberately targetted eg sewage
treatment, power generation, water works - as an instrument of terror
against the whole population.

I realise that AI would find it difficult to prevent this type of
military action by the US but I think that it is vital to campaign
against sanctions which are deliberately targetting civilinas.

Could you please address this issue?

Mark Parkinson
Cornwall

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: