(no subject)

[NOTE ADDED BY CASI: THE CONTENT OF THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE WAS LATER SHOWN
TO BE FALSE. PLEASE DO NOT USE IT]

We are forwarding to you this extraordinary letter, signed by a host of Nobel
Peace Laureates, calling for every body with any authority to lift the
sanctions on Iraq. The language is very strong and its demands of the US and
UK ring loud and clear.

This is a call to action.  We e-mailed many of you earlier today of our hope
to mount a demonstration on February 24, when Clinton is coming to U of Penn
to be the opening speaker for a new economic group.  The demonstration is now
a GO for sure.  We are making a flyer based on this powerful letter to
announce the demonstration.  Everyone who can come to this demonstration
should come and should spread the word.  This is a tremendous opportunity to
build much wider support against the genocide in Iraq.

We will keep you informed as we learn more details of when and where Clinton
will arive.  We are expecting to be at Penn at least an hour ahead of his
arrival, and we will have leafletted and posted in advance. Please RSVP your
interest and ideas you have about making this a more effective action.  In
solidarity,  Kitty Bryant

Pierre Marchand
FOUNDATION APPEAL OF THE NOBEL PEACE LAUREATES FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE
WORLDMay Peace prevail on Earth and all beings be happy.

To:  Heads of States of all member countries of the General Assembly of the
United Nations, the United Nations Security Council, the United Nations
General Assembly, Legislators, Media, and Citizens:

Today, in Iraq, there are many children silently suffering the effects and
consequences of the sanctions.

The suffering takes many different forms:  chronic malnutrition, dysentery,
typhoid, cholera, dehydration, vomiting, and anemia.  Many children – too
many children – live in a “culture of suffering.”

We wish to contribute to reduce their suffering.  We believe that each
child deserves the basic rights to food, medicine, and clean drinking water.
We
also believe that it is possible to do this for the children of Iraq.

Keeping in mind that the United Nations has declared the years 2000-2010
the “Decade for a culture of Non-Violence,” and in accord with our appeal to
“make children of the world aware of the real, practical meaning and benefits
of non-violence in their daily lives, in order to reduce violence,and
consequent suffering, perpetrated against them and humanity in general,” we
make this solemn appeal:
   § That all Heads of States cooperate in the lifting of all of the
sanctions against Iraq except those which limit the trade of items which can
only be used for military purposes and that the President of the United
States and the Prime Minister of Great Britain do everything in their power
to ensure that the sanctions are lifted;
    That the United Nations Security Council votes to lift the sanctions
against Iraq and that the representatives from the United States and Great
Britain do everything in their power to ensure that the sanctions are lifted;
    §   That the General Assembly works to ensure that the sanctions are
lifted;
    §   That the Legislators of all States cooperate in the lifting of the
sanctions against Iraq and that the Congress of the United States of America
and the Parliament of Great Britain pass bills to that effect and do
everything in their power to ensure that the sanctions are lifted;
    § That the media around the world fulfills its obligation to expose the
catastrophic suffering that are the result of the sanctions against the Iraqi
people and that the media do everything in their power to ensure that the
sanctions are lifted;
   §   That all citizens of the world do everything in their power to ensure
that the sanctions against Iraq are lifted.

Together, we can build a new culture of non-violence for humankind which will
give hope to all humanity, and in particular, to the children of Iraq.

With Deepest Respect

>The Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
>
>Signed by
>
>Mairead Maguire Corrigan
>Nelson Mandela
>Aung San Suu Kyi
>The 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso)
>Mikhail Gorbachev
>Shimon Peres
>Elie Wiesel
>Mgr. Desmond Mpilo Tutu
>Adolfo Perez Esquivel
>Yasser Arafat
>Mgr. Carlos Felipe Ximenes Belo
>Jose Ramos-Horta
>Norman Borlaug
>Oscar Arias Sanchez
>UNICEF
>Frederik Willem de Klerk
>Betty Williams
>Lech Walesa
>Joseph Rotblat
>The Friends Service Council / The American Friends Service Committee
>The International Committee of the Red Cross
>The International Association of Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear
>War
>Doctors Without Borders
>Institute of International Law
>Permanent International Peace Bureau
>Nansen International Office for Refugees
>Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
>International Labour Organization
>Amnesty International
>International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War Inc
>The United Nations Peace-Keeping Forces
>International Campaign to Ban Landmines
>Jody Williams
>John Hume
>David Trimble
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: