RE: 1284 and OFF

A response to J. Reed’s recent queries:

To: soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk
From: "J. Reed" <j.v.reed@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: 1284 and OFF
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:55:39 +0000
Sender: soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk

>what is Iraq's position regarding the return of inspectors?  US
>newspapers (as you know) are not the best at providing context >for the quotations they select.
>Some of them indicate that >Iraq will never accept the return of inspections, period.  >Other
>articles indicate that Iraq would accept inspectors, but >only if sanctions were lifted (not
>suspended) entirely, and >only if they were lifted prior to the inspectors return.  This
>>distinction is important and I do not know the answer.  What
>are your feelings on this matter?

There is an Australian site that connects you to over 5000 thousand newspapers that are available
on the Internet.  Below is the site’s address, instructions on how to get to the newspaper page,
and their list of the countries for which they have at least 1 newspaper listing.  It’s perfect
(no, not as a birthday or wedding gift) for accessing news without the American filter, as well as
for finding out publicly announced government positions through state news agencies

I have also included two other sites that restrict their connections to newspapers germane to the
Middle East, sorted by country of origin, and in that in one instance lists the language in which
the newspaper is written.

>The UNSC voted  to renew Oil For Food for 6 months.  Later, the >UNSC also passed Res. 1284 which
>lifted the ceiling on oil >exports altogether.  Does Iraq's rejection of the inspection
>>provisions of the resolution nullify the elimination of the >export ceiling as well? In light of
>these changes, what is the >situation for Iraqi oil industries?  I am confused about what >the UN
>policy is after the recent fiasco and what the impact of >these decisions will be.

My understanding is that the UN  Security Council does not need Iraqi approval to validate any
resolution relevant to that country.  Now it is true that some of the resolution’s stipulations
require Iraqi cooperation [E.g., the reinsertion of weapons’ inspectors], but that is an issue of
implementation that is dependent on decisions made and actions carried out by the Iraqi government.

The oil cap is twisted on and controlled by the Security Council, and can be removed with or
without Iraqi consent.  1284’s paragraph 15 [section C] does not state that “the import of any
volume of petroleum and petroleum products originating in Iraq” is contingent upon Iraqi compliance
with Resolution 1284.  Therefore, it seems that this is an example of a 1284 mandate that is
outside the control of the Iraqi government, the cap has been unturned and will, for the time
being, continue to remain off independently of any Iraqi government responses to Resolution 1284.

With regards,
     Nathaniel Hurd
     Boston, MA [USA]

Webwombat

http://www.webwombat.com.au/

Click on "newspapers” on the right hand side of your screen
Click on the country of your choice

Quick jump to United States
newspapers, listed: By state

Countries in alphabetical order

A - C

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
American Samoa
Andorra
Angola
Antigua & Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Aruba
Ascencion Island
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
The Bahamas
Bahrain
The Baltics
Bangladesh
Barbados
Basque Country
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Benin
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia Herzegovina
Botswana
Brazil
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon

Canada
Alphabetically
By Province
Alberta
British Columbia
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Newfoundland
Nova Scotia
Nunavut
NW Territories
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Québec
Saskatchewan
Yukon Territory

Cape Verde
Central African Republic Channel Islands
Chile
China
Colombia
C'wealth North Mariana Is
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Costa Rica
Côte D'Ivoire
Croatia
Cuba
Cyprus
Czech Republic

D - F

Democratic Republic of Congo
Denmark
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Estonia
Ethiopia
Eritrea
Faroe Islands
Fiji
Finland
France
French Polynesia

G - I

Gabon
Gambia
Georgia
Germany
Ghana
Gibraltar
Greece
Grenada
Guatemala
Guadeloupe
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana

H - I

Haiti
Hong Kong
Honduras
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Ireland
Israel
Italy

J - Q

Jamaica
Japan
Jersey, Island of
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kuwait
Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marianas
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mexico
Monaco
Mongolia
Montserrat
Morocco
Mozambique
Myanmar
Namibia
Nepal
Netherlands
Netherland Antilles
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Norway
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestine
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Polynesia
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Qatar

R - T

Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Somalia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Sri Lanka
St Lucia St Vincent & The Grenadines
Sudan
Suriname
Swaziland
Sweden
Switzerland
Syria
Taiwan
Tanzania
Thailand
Togo
Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Turkmenistan

U - Z

Uganda
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
England
Scotland
Wales
Uruguay
Vatican
Viêt-nam
US Virgin Is.
Venezuela
Western Sahara
Yemen
Yugoslavia
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Arab Internet Media Network

http://www.amin.org/jourmag/

Algeria

Algerian News Agency
El-Khabar
El Watan
El-Moudjahid
Ech-Chaab
Horizons
Jeune Indépendant
Liberté
La Tribune
El-Youm

Australia

Al-Moharer
Al-Iraqi
Nida’ul Islam
Bahrain
Gulf Daily News
Bahrain Tribune
Al Ayam

Canada

Al-Miraat
Libanorama
Canada and the Arab World

Egypt

Elshaab
The Egyptian Gazette
Al-Gomhuria
Al Messa
Al-Ahram
Al-Alam Al-Youm
Middle East News Agency
Al Wafd
Middle East Times
Al Ahram Weekly
Cairo Times Magazine
Egypt Today Magazine
Al-Arabi Al-Nassery
Almanar Aljadeed
Arab Ambassador
Egypt Today

Jordan

Al Dustour
Jordan Times
Al Raii
Petra News Agency
Al Arab AlYawm
Shihan
Assabeel
Al Hadath
The Star Online

Iraq

Iraqi News Agency
Al-Zawra weekly
Al-Baath

Kuwait

Kuwait News Agency
Kuwait Times
Al Qabas
Al-Watan
Mishka Al-Ray
Al-Arabi
al-seyassah
Alanba

Lebanon

National News Agency
The Daily Star Online
L’Orient Le Jour
An Nahar
Al-Anwar
Al-Safir
Alahed
La Revue Du Liban
Al-Hadaf
Monday Morning
Al Ousbou’ Al Arabi
Al-Watan Al-Arabi

Libya

Libyan Affairs
Al Mahata

Morocco

Maghreb Arabe Presse
Al Jarida Al Maghribia
Morocco Today
Le Matin du Sahara et du Maghreb
AL-ANBAA

Oman

Oman News Agency
Oman Daily
Oman Observer
Al Watan

Palestine

Al-Ayyam.
Al-Quds
Alhayat Aljadedah
Kul Al-Arab
Assennara
Akhbar-Alnaqab
Saut-Elhaq Walhoria
Wafa News Agency
Fasel Almaqal
Alresala
Al-Esteqlal
Almassar
Jerusalem Times
Al-Shaabhttp://www.amin.org/alshaab/index.htmhttp://www.amin.org/alshaab/index.htm
Alkarmel http://www.alkarmel.org/http://www.alkarmel.org/

Qatar

Al-Watan
Gulf Times
Al-Sharq
Al Raya

SaudiArabia

Saudi Press Agency
Al Hayat
Al Madinah
Al-Jazirah Online
Asharq Al Awsat
Al-Massaiah
Naseej News
Riyadh Daily
Ain-Al-Yaqeen

Sudan

Sudan News Agency
ALRAY-ALAM
Addaraweesh

Syria

Syrian Arab News Agency
Teshreen Foundation
Al-Thawra
Al-Baath
Syria Times
Tunisia
La Presse de Tunisi
Essahafa
Le Renouveau
Réalités
Al Horria

UAE

Al Khaleej
Khaleej Times
Alittihad
Al Bayan
Gulf News
Al-reyadha wa Al-shabab
Emirates Today

UK

Al-Arab
Al Quds Al-Arabi
Asharq Al-Awsat
Alhayat
Quds Press
Azzaman
Palestine Times
Almushahed Alsiyasi
almustakillah

USA

Al Vefagh (Al Wefaq)
Arabia.On.Line
Al-Itidal
Al-Watan
Privatization News
Access to Arabia - The News Room
Washington Post’s Algeria News
Ain El-Yaqeen
Akher Khabar
Beirut Times
Arab Times
Arab Voice
Washington Report
Al-Aseer
Falasteen

Yemen

Al-Ayyam
Al-Gumhuryah
Attariq
26 September
Yemen Times
Al-Shoura
RAY
Al Wahdawi
Al-Methaq
Al-Thawra
Al-Sahwa
Yemen Observer
Saba News Agency

Middle East Economic Survey

http://www.mees.com/dotcom/newspapers/

Algeria

Name            Language
Ech-Chaab       Arabic
El Khabar       Arabic
El Moudjahid    French
El Watan        French
El Youm         Arabic
Liberte         French
La Tribune      French
The North Africa Journal        English

Bahrain

Name            Language
Al Ayam         Arabic / English
Bahrain Tribune         English
Gulf Daily News         English

Egypt

Name            Language
Al Shaab        Arabic
Al-Ahram        Arabic
Al-Ahram Weekly         English
Al-Siyassa Al-Dawliya   English
Al Gomhuria     Arabic
Al Messa        Arabic
Alalam Alyoum   Arabic
Middle East Times       English
The Egyptian Gazette    English

Iran

Name            Language
Net Iran        English
Hamshahri       Persian
Iran Weekly Press Digest        English
Iran Press Analysis     English
The Iranian Web Guide to the Media      English
Iran Daily      English

Iraq
Name    Language
Al-Zawra        English/Arabic

Jordan

Name            Language
Alarab-Alyawm   Arabic
Assabeel Weekly         Arabic
Al Ra'i Arabic
Al Hadath       Arabic
Jordan Times    English

Kuwait

Name            Language
Al Qabas        Arabic
Al Watan        Arabic
Kuwait Times    English

Lebanon
Name            Language
An Nahar        Arabic
Assafir Arabic
Al Anwar        Arabic
Al-Massira      English
Daily Star      English
Beirut Times    English / Arabic
L'Orient Le Jour        French

Morocco

Name            Language
Morocco Today   English
Al Anbaa        Arabic
The North Africa Journal        English
La Vie Economique       French
Maroc Hebdo International       French

Oman

Name    Language
Oman    Arabic
Oman Daily Observer     English
Times Of Oman   English

Palestine

Name            Language
Al Quds         Arabic
Al Ayyam        Arabic
Al Hayat Al Jadedah     Arabic
Akhbar Alnaqab  Arabic
As Sennarah     Arabic
Kul Al Arab     Arabic

Qatar

Name            Language
Al Raya         Arabic
Al Sharq        Arabic
Al Watan        Arabic
Gulf Times      English

Saudi Arbaia

Name            Language
Al Sharq Al Awsat       Arabic
Al Hayat        Arabic
Al Jazirah      Arabic
Al Massaiah     Arabic
Al Riyadh       Arabic
Top of Page

Syria

Name            Language
Al Baath        Arabic
Al Thawra       Arabic
Al Thawra       English
Syria Times     English
Teshreen        Arabic
Teshreen al-Osboi       Arabic
Top of Page

Tunisia

Name            Language
Assabah         Arabic
Essahafa        Arabic
La Presse       French
Le Renouveau    French
Le Temps        French
The North Africa Journal        English

United Arab Emirates

Name            Language
Gulf News       English
Gulf Business   English
Khaleej Times   English
Al Bayan        Arabic
Al Khaleej      Arabic
Al Itihad       Arabic

Yemen

Name            Language
Al-Ayyam        Arabic
Al-Shoura       Arabic
Ray     Arabic
Yemen Times     English
The Yemen Observer      English
Yemen Network   English

General

Name             Language
Al-Quds Al- Arabi       Arabic
Azzaman Arabic
Al Baath        Arabic
Mideast Mirror  English

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: