1284 and OFF

I am a University student in the U.S. that is active in peace and justice
organizations and the anti-sanctions campaign.  I have a few questions for
anyone on the list serve that can
 help me.
 The first is a facutal question concerning UN procedure.  The UNSC voted
 to renew Oil For Food for 6 months.  Later, the UNSC also passed Res.
 1284 which lifted the cieling on oil exports altogether.  Does Iraq's
 rejection of the inspection provisions of the resolution nullify the
 elimination of the export ceiling as well? In light of these changes, what
is the situation for Iraqi oil
 industries?  I am confused about what the UN policy is after the recent
fiasco and
 what the impact of these decisions will be.

 Second, what is Iraq's position regarding the return of inspectors?  US
 newspapers (as you know) are not the best at providing context for the
 quotations they select.  Some of them indicate that Iraq will never
 accept the return of inspections, period.  Other articles indicate that
 Iraq would accept inspectors, but only if sanctions were lifted (not
 suspended) entirely, and only if they were lifted prior to the inspectors
return.  This distinction is important and I do not know the answer.  What
are your feelings on this matter?

Sincerely,
J. Reed
University of Texas

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: