imports of medical supplies to Iraq

FYI, I am forwarding this comment from an anti-sanctions activist to a
US-based discussion list.
Sender: jonathan.edwards@gartner.com

********************

I'm an anti-sanctions activist based in Boston, MA, and have just
returned
from a trip to Iraq. Our group visited hospitals, including neonatal
wards,
where we saw a number of incubators in operation. We were also shown
some
incubators that we were told were not operating at full capacity. So
although the sanctions have put a severe strain on Iraqi hospitals, it
is a
mistake to assume that nothing functions properly.

It is untrue to say that Iraq cannot import any medical supplies or
spare
parts for medical equipment. The Sanctions Committee has vetoed many,
but
not all, requests for medical supplies. Medical supplies have been
brought
in through the oil-for-food program. Foreign relief groups have also
brought
in medical supplies and spare parts. A final, important source for
medical,
and many other civilian supplies is cross-border trade with Jordan and
other
neighboring countries - the only problem is the high cost of these
imported
items and the lack of adequate government funding to purchase them.

Jonathan Edwards
This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html