The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

Re: [casi-analysis] On the 'transfer of sovereignty'

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

On 20 Apr 2004 at 14:59, Dirk Adriaensens wrote:

> And there's also another problem: I think that the US want to ruin the
> reputations of people like Denis Halliday and Hans von Sponeck, and
> try to accuse them of "corruption". Especially Hans von Sponeck was
> very worried about this, because he is already involved in 2 court
> cases, because of the smear campagne against him. They tried to accuse
> him of being a Saddam apologist, anti-semite... you name it. He said:
> "will I have to go to court again?", and sighed. I told him to rely
> also on the anti-sanctions movement for support.

The 19th April news digest included a rambling and poorly argued
article/diatribe attacking the UN and the oil for food programme.
Sounds like part of the same campaign.

> We know the US/UK governments have always tried to lie about the
> reality of the sanctions (as they did about the war). And I'm sure
> that they want to rewrite history on that terrible page in history. So
> I think we have to stay vigilant and to consider ourselves as
> defenders of the truth about these inhumane sanctions. That's why,
> according to me, our work is far from over. Also because war and
> occupation are just an extention of the sanctions, only worse.

I couldn't agree more.

Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall