The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

Re: [casi-analysis] On the 'transfer of sovereignty'

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Dear Peter,

Thanks for a very good overview of the transfer of
“whatever-it-may-be” to “whoever-he-may-be” in Iraq...

It is unfortunate that this mailing list lacks a clear
focus to policy. Signs of this were already evident at
the end of 2002 and the beginning of 2003 and the list
seems to have lost its spirit after the occupation.

Did we ever function as a “group”? I don’t think so.
Even our opposition to sanctions lacked a clear focus,
with some supporting the so called “smart sanctions”,
while others saw them as an excuse to continue
sanctions indefinitely. Some supported the sanctions
and advocated the war at any price.
Some based their views vis a vis sanctions and Iraq on
their hatred to the regime of Saddam Hussein; some
basing their views on the less-than-honest views of
Amnesty International and Human Rights watch and
similar organizations.

Now that the list has changed its objectives, it has
also changed course. This is no longer a discussion
group; it is a billboard, where articles and news are
posted. Because of the slow pace of the moderation,
some of the articles take days before they are posted,
by which time they lose their importance as fresh news
and they would be available from other sites. News
become stale. And if discussion of an urgent subject
is not done immediately, it becomes obsolete.. I have
personally stopped turning to the list for
information, even though I continue sending articles
which I believe good.

CASI was an excellent source of information and a
place for discussions. It is unfortunate that we have
not been able to continue in the same spirit.

I have one comment. You write: “But the interim
constitution (which gives any three provinces a right
of veto) has given a right of veto over the final
constitution – and hence over the appearance of a
democratically elected government - to the Kurds. In
this way, the thorniest problem facing any government
in Iraq - the Kurdish demand for an autonomous state
which would include Kirkuk and Mosul - has been raised
as a barrier to the establishment of democratic
government.”

There is another side to this, and what the Kurdish
leaders have planned may also backfire.

For the Kurds to get an autonomous state which would
include Kirkuk and Mosul, they would need the approval
of all Iraqi Governorates. Thus any three governorates
would have the same right of veto and stop any Kurdish
attempts towards that objective. Then the Kurds can
not blame anyone but themselves; after all the interim
constitution was drafted by a committee headed by a
separatist Kurd and a follower of Barzani; Fouad
Ma’soum. The Constitution was drafted by the Kurds to
suit their separatist aspirations, but it overlooked
the fact that Arabs of Iraq may fight back with the
same weapon; the VETO...

Personally, I don’t think the Americans did not see
that. I believe they were very conscious of it and
purposefully did it, knowing that the result would be
a stalemate; thus delaying the departure of the US
forces from Iraq until a final constitution is
approved. The Americans would never allow the Kurds to
get a state, because they know that Turkey would
oppose it even militarily. With that formula in mind,
no constitution would ever emerge that would be
accepted by all Iraqis. And once again the Kurdish
leadership would be taking the Kurdish people through
another of the continuing conflicts that have been
going on for over eighty years. And the sad thing is
that the Kurdish people have not learned from history:
they have always been used by this side and that
against their real interests in a unified Iraq.

HZ