[casi] The killings at Fallujah

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12908278&method=full&siteid=50143

TWO KILLED IN NEW IRAQ DEMO SHOOTING

May 1 2003

>From Chris Hughes In Al-Fallujah. Pictures by Julian
Andrews

IT started when a young boy hurled a sandal at a US
jeep - it ended with two Iraqis dead and 16 seriously
injured.

I watched in horror as American troops opened fire on
a crowd of 1,000 unarmed people here yesterday.

Many, including children, were cut down by a 20-second
burst of automatic gunfire during a demonstration
against the killing of 13 protesters at the Al-Kaahd
school on Monday.

They had been whipped into a frenzy by religious
leaders. The crowd were facing down a military
compound of tanks and machine-gun posts.

The youngster had apparently lobbed his shoe at the
jeep - with a M2 heavy machine gun post on the back -
as it drove past in a convoy of other vehicles.

A soldier operating the weapon suddenly ducked, raised
it on its pivot then pressed his thumb on the trigger.

Mirror photographer Julian Andrews and I were standing
about six feet from the vehicle when the first shots
rang out, without warning.

We dived for cover under the compound wall as troops
within the crowd opened fire. The convoy accelerated
away from the scene.

Iraqis in the line of fire dived for cover, hugging
the dust to escape being hit.

We could hear the bullets screaming over our heads.
Explosions of sand erupted from the ground - if the
rounds failed to hit a demonstrator first. Seconds
later the shooting stopped and the screaming and
wailing began.

One of the dead, a young man, lay face up, half his
head missing, first black blood, then red spilling
into the dirt.

His friends screamed at us in anger, then looked at
the grim sight in disbelief.

A boy of 11 lay shouting in agony before being carted
off in a car to a hospital already jam-packed with
Iraqis hurt in Monday's incident.

Cars pulled up like taxis to take the dead and injured
to hospital, as if they had been waiting for this to
happen.

A man dressed like a sheik took off his headcloth to
wave and direct traffic around the injured. The
sickening scenes of death and pain were the
culmination of a day of tension in Al-Fallujah sparked
by Monday's killings.

The baying crowd had marched 500 yards from the school
to a local Ba'ath party HQ. We joined them, asking
questions and taking pictures, as Apache helicopters
circled above.

The crowd waved their fists at the gunships angrily
and shouted: "Go home America, go home America."

We rounded a corner and saw edgy-looking soldiers
lined up along the street in between a dozen armoured
vehicles. All of them had automatic weapons pointing
in the firing position.

As the crowd - 10 deep and about 100 yards long -
marched towards the US positions, chanting "Allah is
great, go home Americans", the troops reversed into
the compound.

On the roof of the two-storey fortress, ringed by a
seven-foot high brick wall, razor wire and with
several tanks inside, around 20 soldiers ran to the
edge and took up positions.

A machine gun post at one of the corners swivelled
round, taking aim at the crowd which pulled to a halt.

We heard no warning to disperse and saw no guns or
knives among the Iraqis whose religious and tribal
leaders kept shouting through loud hailers to remain
peaceful. In the baking heat and with the deafening
noise of helicopters the tension reached breaking
point.

Julian and I ran towards the compound to get away from
the crowd as dozens of troops started taking aim at
them, others peering at them through binoculars.

Tribal leaders struggled to contain the mob which was
reaching a frenzy.

A dozen ran through the cordon of elders, several
hurling what appeared to be rocks at troops.

Some of the stones just reached the compound walls.
Many threw sandals - a popular Iraqi insult.

A convoy of Bradley military jeeps passed by, the
Iraqis hurling insults at them, slapping the sides of
the vehicles with their sandals, tribal leaders
begging them to retreat.

The main body of demonstrators jeered the passing US
troops pointing their thumbs down to mock them.

Then came the gunfire - and the death and the agony.

After the shootings the American soldiers looked at
the appalling scene through their binoculars and set
up new positions, still training their guns at us.

An angry mob battered an Arab TV crew van, pulling out
recording equipment and hurling it at the compound.
Those left standing - now apparently insane with anger
- ran at the fortress battering its walls with their
fists. Many had tears pouring down their faces.

Still no shots from the Iraqis and still no sign of
the man with the AK47 who the US later claimed had let
off a shot at the convoy.

I counted at least four or five soldiers with
binoculars staring at the crowd for weapons but we saw
no guns amongst the injured or dropped on the ground.

A local told us the crowd would turn on foreigners so
we left and went to the hospital.

There, half an hour later, another chanting mob was
carrying an open coffin of one of the dead, chanting
"Islam, Islam, Islam, death to the Americans".

We left when we were spat at by a wailing woman
dressed in black robes.

US troops had been accused of a bloody massacre over
the killings of the 13 Iraqis outside the school on
Monday. Three of the dead were said to be boys under
11.

At least 75 locals were injured in a 30-minute gun
battle after soldiers claimed they were shot at by
protesters.

Demonstrators claimed they were trying to reclaim the
school from the Americans who had occupied it as a
military HQ.

The crowd had defied a night-time curfew to carry out
the protest.