[casi] UN accessory to humanitarian catastrophe in Iraq?

Dear List,

Morally, if perhaps not legally, the UN has been
an accessory to the crimes perpetrated for 12 years
by the sanctions regime. Now the UN led by
Kofi Annan has become an accessory after the fact
to the crimes perpetrated by the occupiers directly.

The UN lead by Kofi Annan has been watching from
the sidelines as the current human catastrophe is
unfolding:

-- It has not protested against the US/UK's utter
disregard of the Hague Regulations and the
Geneva Convention on the duties [of occupying
powers] that requires them to ensure the welfare
of the population.

-- It has not protested against the human rights
violations the US/UK are committing by depriving
the population of basic human needs: food, water,
medical care, proper burial for the dead... and
protection against attacks on people's lives and
property.

-- It has done nothing to ensure that humanitarian
groups willing to provide the desperately needed
food, water, and medical care can do so in safety.

-- The UN has merely "urged" - and waited.

So in my view, the UN is guilty as charged. But this
does not help the suffering Iraqis.

Here is an example of what they are up against:

According to IRC reports, the psychiatric clinic
El Rashad in Baghdad was ransacked between
April 9 and 11. The looters took almost everything
and set fire to the rest. All of the 1,050 patients
had to flee and several women patients were raped.

About 300 of the patients have returned, said Amir Abi,
the director of the clinic. But they now live in
conditions not fit for human beings since the looters
had destroyed everything - including patients' records.
There is hardly any food or water. The IRC said it
has supplied the clinic with 30,000 litres of water.
[APA/AP/sda in Der Standard, April 18]

This is just one of the many horror stories that
have created the human catastrophe in Iraq. Or
should I say 'liberation' catastrophe?

The ICRC reports that Al-Kindi Hospital has been
ransacked completely - even the beds were taken.
The fate of the patients, after the Hospital was
abandoned by its staff, is largely unknown. Many
other hospitals and health facilities in Baghdad
have closed their doors in fear of looters.

(Ali, the young boy who lost both his arms and
all of his family, is in a hospital in Jordan
He is feeling a little better.)

Fadela Chaib, Spokeswoman for the World Health
Organization (WHO) has stated that "Security and
Health" cannot be maintained without "civil order":
"it is virtually impossible for hospitals to
function effectively".

And these are Secretary-General Kofi Annan's
comments on this human catastrophe:

With keen perception Kofi Annan "noted that there
appears to be no functioning government in Iraq".
This must be the understatement of all times.

Mr. Annan also "reaffirmed that the coalition had
the responsibility of the welfare of the people in
the areas of Iraq under their control." But the
"coalition", it seems, needs more than reaffirmation.
No doubt they are well acquainted with the Hague
Regulations and the articles Geneva Convention.

To be fair, Kofi Annan is doing something while
the looting and lawlessness continues in Baghdad,
Basra, Kirkuk, Mosul... Mr. Annan is waiting:

     "The UN is awaiting US CENTCOM's official policy
     position on this extremely critical situation.
     This was expected yesterday but has not yet been
     issued."

In other words, if the "US CENTCOM's official policy"
favours disregard for the Hague Regulations and the
Geneva Convention, Mr. Annan will just wait - while
people are starving and dying.
(Perhaps he finds it difficult to annoy his US
patrons who procured him his position.)

These quotes are taken from a UN report "Aid for Iraq"
(Transcript of the UN humanitarian briefing in Amman,
Jordan), April 11, 2003.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/infocusnewsiraq.asp?sID=9

This report includes a "Questions and Answers" part.
The questioners are presumably the press.

One of the questions, addressed to Nejib Friji, UN
Spokesman, aims to find out if the UN is going to
_wait_ forever, assuming USUK shirks its responsibility:

     "Q: (unrecorded) we seem to get a response that
     indicates that they either don't feel it is their
     job or they don't have enough people there to
     handle the security situation. It seems that if
     this is what we are waiting for, then that is not
     going to happen. What do you consider is a solution?"

The UN spokesman seems to consider "waiting" the
solution: "I am afraid that we have to refer you to
what the Secretary-General said, that it is the full
responsibility of the occupying powers..." etc., etc.

But the questioner persists:

     "Q: I don't mean to be argumentative, given they
     know this call is being made & their response
     haven't been pro active, in the meantime you see
     people dying, if they don't respond, is there
     anything the UN can do without their help?"

Answer: "waiting": the occupying powers are responsible
etc. - "they are the only ones who can take action."
The UN can but wait: "We have all urged... yet we don't
have a reply. We are waiting patiently for some action
to be taken. It is not happened yet... We are waiting,
we cannot go & deliver safely otherwise."

Again, the questioner persists:

     "Q: What has been the response of Center Com.
     to the appeals, anything definite?"

Short answer: "We are still waiting for a response."

So Mr. Annan is "waiting" for a USUK response...
and for Iraqi children and adults to die for want,
be killed by thugs (US or locals), flee or
otherwise 'liberate' themselves from their wretched
lives. (The brutal sanctions regime must look
wholesome by comparison.)

And while he is waiting, the UN Commission on Human
Rights is holding its annual session in Geneva.
Presumably the Commission will be discussing serious
questions of human rights violations.

On this occasion, the human rights violations
Mr. Annan has left in limbo were put forth by some
100 members of several Iraqi groups. These Iraqis
have protested against the "UN's spectator role"
in the catastrophic situation in Iraq. On Thursday
(April 17) the Iraqi demonstrators handed a letter
to Kofi Annan outlining their grievances:

"We are deeply concerned", the letter said, "about
the spectator role the UN is playing in this
human catastrophe, about the violations of human
rights, and about the condescending attitude towards
the people of Iraq."

Demonstrating outside the United Nations building
in Geneva, the Iraqi protesters spoke out against
the US-British occupation in Iraq. They were
dismayed, they said, that the US and Britain will
protect Iraq's oil wells but not its museums and
libraries. And they demanded that the occupiers
take action to provide security and stability in
Iraq.

They also spoke out against the US-sponsored
opposition (Chalabi & Co) presented in Nassiriyah
last Tuesday. These people have not been elected
by the Iraqis but by the US, said Abdulbaki
Al-Khazraji of the Arabic Cultural Centre in Geneva.
[Source: Der Standard, April 17]
---

Life in Iraq: hellish.

To Baghdadis "It feels like living on the Titanic"

The looting is only part of the truth. And many
Baghdadis believe that the Americans intended to
have this mayhem that is wrecking Iraq. "After one
week of looting and unrest, people are screaming
for law and order and the Americans are able to
take ruthless measures to contain us", said
Muayed al-Windawi, a university professor.
["Report from Baghdad", Der Standard, April 16]

This makes sense: sponsored anarchy as a resistance
breaker. Israeli-style 'pacification' would have
caused worldwide outrage - and would have been
counterproductive to the occupiers.

Muhammad Baqer al-Hakim, chairman of the SCRI goes
further than "intended unrest". He has warned
against a "a civil war" organized by the Americans
in Iraq.

[Source: "Bush asks for lifting Iraq's sanctions";
"al-Hakim accuses US of organizing a civil war"]
http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/030417/2003041712.html
---

I am attaching a note from Kathy Kelly. It is
dated April 10. She describes the current
situation through the eyes of an Iraqi mother,
Umm Zainab - and through the eyes of occupying
soldiers. My apologies if it has been posted before.

--Elga Sutter

XVI. Note from Kathy Kelly in Baghdad