Chlorine, water treatment, and holds

Can anyone provide a clear explanation of the procedures that apply for
chlorine to be purchased and used in water treatment in Iraq?  I know
that it’s done through UNICEF.  How cumbersome are the procedures?
Are there ways in which the procedures have the result of slowing down
or impeding the process of installing and using the chlorine in water
purification process?  Also, is there a ceiling on the funds available (or
permitted) to be used for purchase of chlorine?

I’m also interested in US holds on equipment related to water and
sewage treatment. In June 2000, US congressman Tony Hall said that of
the 18 contracts on hold for water and sewage treatment items, all but
one were holds placed by the US. Does anyone know of any
documentation, internal UN reports, or published news interviews that
provide any detail about US holds on equipment for water and sewage
treatment?

 I’ve heard about US holds on water tankers last winter, which were
maintained although UNMOVIC said they were not 1051 notifiable.  Does
anyone know of any documentation or details concerning the water
tanker issue?

Thanks very much,
Joy Gordon

Prof. Joy Gordon