Posted By: Sahdina
Date: Sunday, 21 December 2003, at 6:11 a.m.

Arabic version at www.iraq4allnews.dk/viewnews.php?id=35164

-- Unofficial translation --

The kurdish group in the governing council presents a law about
confederalism
Suleimaniya- Iraq 20/12/2003

A kurdish executive confirmed Friday that the kurdish group (5 members)
in the transitional governing council presented a law regarding
confederalism.

Bakhtiar Amin,deputy of Mahmood Osman a kurdish member in the governing
council,said that the five kurdish members in the governing council,
leader of PUK Jalal Talabani,leader of the KDP Masoud Barzani,Mohamad
Osman,Dara Nour al-Din,and Salah al-din Baha al-Din presented ten days ago
to the governing council a project named the State Law which was passed
in the kurdish parliament a year ago and was agreed upon by about 37
kurdish parties.

Amin added that "This law came about because there are no details
regarding Confederalism and we don't want to delay the subject after the
passing of the permanent constitution of the country".
Amin clarified also that this project constitutes the founding of a
federal,plural,parliamentary Iraq and it includes how to organize the
relations between Baghdad as a central capital and the rest of the regions
in Iraqi Kurdistan.

Amin indicated that according to this project,the kurdish regions are
made of four governorates : Arbil,Dohuk,Kirkuk and Suleimaniya as well
as the kurdish areas in the governorate of Dyala (66 km north-east of
Baghdad) such as Khanqeen,Mandali,Jaloula and Saadiya,and the cities of
Shikhan,Sinjar,and Makhmour in the governorate of Mosul (400 km north of
Baghdad).

The kurdish executive confirmed that according to this project,the
region of Kurdistan includes all the areas which have a kurdish majority as
per the 1957 census.

Amin added that the project includes the powers of the region and the
matter of revenues as well as the matter of ethnic cleansing of the
kurds in Kirkuk (255 km north-east of Baghdad) by the former regime.
Amin also explained that with accordance to this,the governing council
decided to form a committee of three members Ahmad al Chalabi, Adnan
Baja Ji, and Abdul-aziz al-Hakim,as well as the kurdish group and
representatives of the Turkman and Assyrians to discuss this project in
order
to complete the formulation of a decision about it by the end of
February of next year (2004)

The Iraqi kurds hold five of the 25 ministries in the transitional
government including foreign affairs.

At this the kurdish leaders assert their tenacious adherence to a
federal system in Iraq.