Re: [casi] Iraqi date-growing season?

Will we ever really know the truth about anything at all in Iraq?  pg

Sunday, December 21
http://tinyurl.com/2bht5     Australian Broadcasting

Saddam held by Kurds, drugged and left for US troops: report
Saddam Hussein was captured by US troops only after he had been taken
prisoner by Kurdish forces, drugged and abandoned ready for American
soldiers to recover him, a British tabloid newspaper has reported.

Saddam came into the hands of the Kurdish Patriotic Front after being
betrayed to the group by a member of the al-Jabour tribe, whose daughter had
been raped by Saddam's son Uday, leading to a blood feud, reported the
Sunday Express, which quoted an unnamed senior British military intelligence
officer.

The newspaper said the full story of events leading up to the ousted Iraqi
president's capture on December 13 near his hometown of Tikrit in northern
Iraq, "exposes the version peddled by American spin doctors as incomplete".

A former Iraqi intelligence officer, whom the Express did not name, told the
paper that Saddam was held prisoner by a leader of the Kurdish Patriotic
Front, which fought alongside US forces during the Iraq war, until he
negotiated a deal.

The deal apparently involved the group gaining political advantage in the
region.

An unnamed Western intelligence source in the Middle East told the Express:
"Saddam was not captured as a result of any American or British
intelligence. We knew that someone would eventually take their revenge, it
was just a matter of time."

-- AFP

Hussein Was Held by Kurds Before U.S. Capture, AFP Reports
http://tinyurl.com/2cc5y  Bloomberg News

Dec. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Saddam Hussein was captured by U.S. troops only after
being held prisoner by Kurdish forces, who had had drugged and abandoned
him, Agence France-Presse reported, citing a Sunday Express newspaper
report.

The Kurdish Patriotic Front, which fought alongside U.S. forces during the
Iraq war, held Hussien until it negotiated for more political advantage in
the Middle East, AFP said, citing the paper, which quoted an unidentified
Iraqi intelligence officer.

Hussein, who had been in hiding since April, was captured a week ago about 9
miles south of his hometown of Tikrit in northern Iraq, ___Lieutenant
General Ricardo Sanchez, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, said at a
press conference then__.