Re: [casi] Prime Minister and mass graves

Dear all

When I saw that Muhammad had posted a mailing using the title of my own
'Prime Minsiter and Mass Graves' I hoped very much that I was at last going
to read a good account, from the pro-invasion camp, of what is and isn't
known about the mass graves.

Instead what we got was the url of an exceptionally silly article from the
Guardian. Exceptionally silly because the author, Christopher Greenwood QC,
professor of international law at the London School of Economics, argues for
a trial of President Hussein to be conducted by 'Iraq' without apparently
having noticed that 'Iraq' no longer exists as a coporate entity, a state.

In the passage Muhammad singles out he says: 'It is paradoxical that some of
those who have been loudest in calling for the early return of sovereignty
to the people of Iraq are unwilling to see this element of sovereignty
returned at all.' The restoration of sovereignty - that is of a government
created by the interplay between political traditions that are native to
Iraq - and the reconstruction of an independent Iraqi state are the
necessary prerequisites for an Iraqi trial. Otherwise we are talking about a
tribunal appointed by the US, or at least (and this is indeed what Mr
Greensood is referring to) appointed by the US-created IGC. Which will have
no legitimacy in anyone's eyes, least of all in the eyes of the people of
Iraq. And certainly not in the eyes of the world when one of its leading
members, one who takes a particularly close interest in the question of war
crimes, has himself been convicted of very large scale embezzlement by a
neighbouring state.

And if we are talking about a genuinely Iraqi trial, following genuinely
Iraqi traditions, and genuine respect for real Iraqi culture, is anyone
suggesting that President Hussein should be tried by the intellectually
powerful legal tradition that does exist in Iraq, that has flourished in
spite of many centuries of oppression, that is still flourishing because it
is capable of operating outside the structure of a state, and that can
reasonably claim to have a universal, therefore international, remit. The
one that is based in Najaf?

Yours

Peter