The following is an archived copy of a message sent to a Discussion List run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
[Main archive index/search] [List information] [Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq Homepage]
[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ] Note this key statement: “this work order would be paid for by money from the Development Fund for Iraq and not from $18.6 billion in new funds to rebuild Iraq appropriated by Congress” – i.e. The Iraqi people will be paying for it. And note this key statement: “Congress had specified new funding for Iraq should not be used for contracts that were not competitively bid, such as the deal with KBR.” In other words: Iraqi money, which is controlled by the US, can be given out on a no-bid basis. All without Iraqi consultation. And it just so happens – the Iraqi money will be given out to a company that is being charged with overcharging US money ($61 million on gasoline and an attempted $67 million on dining services for the US military) -Rania "Let's save pessimism for better times." written on a wall on a street in a South American city, and mentioned by Eduardo Galeano. -------------------------------------------------------- Rañia Masri Director, Southern Peace Research and Education Center Institute for Southern Studies http://www.southernstudies.org <http://www.southernstudies.org/> 2009 Chapel Hill Rd. Durham, North Carolina 27707 HALLIBURTON Gets More Business in Iraq Reuters, United States Halliburton Gets More Business in Iraq Mon December 15, 2003 05:00 PM ET By Sue Pleming WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military said on Monday Vice President Dick Cheney's former company Halliburton was allocated $222 million more last week for work in Iraq, at the same time as a Pentagon audit found the firm may have overbilled for some services there. Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root has now clocked up $2.26 billion under its March no-bid contract with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to rebuild Iraq's oil sector. Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Bob Faletti said a new task order was made for KBR last week worth up to $222 million for the "restoration of essential infrastructure." Faletti said this work order would be paid for by money from the Development Fund for Iraq and not from $18.6 billion in new funds to rebuild Iraq appropriated by Congress. He said Congress had specified new funding for Iraq should not be used for contracts that were not competitively bid, such as the deal with KBR. "To make sure that we avoided any perception of wrongdoing, we are not co-mingling appropriated and non-appropriated funds (from Congress)," said Faletti. Most of the funds paid to KBR to bring in fuel to Iraq, which despite being oil rich is suffering a shortage, have come from the Development Fund, which includes oil revenues from Iraq. Halliburton is in the process of answering questions raised by the Defense Contract Audit Agency over its work in Iraq after a draft audit found a Kuwaiti subcontractor may have overcharged it as much as $61 million for fuel. Halliburton on Monday once again rejected charges of overbilling and said it welcomed any reviews and audits of its dangerous work in Iraq. Asked to provide details on the cost of getting fuel into Iraq from Kuwait, Halliburton spokeswoman Wendy Hall said the average cost was $2.64 a gallon and that for every gallon delivered the company made only a few cents. "Not many people want to drive eight days, round trip in a war zone, with a truck full of flammable materials. The subcontractor has had three drivers killed and 10 injured while performing this mission and 60 vehicles damaged or destroyed," she said. She said the Army Corps of Engineers had told KBR to find a company that met stringent requirements to deliver fuel into Iraq. KBR sought and received bids from four suppliers and only one subcontractor had met the Corps' specifications. Hall said KBR had been negotiating pricing for fuel with the Kuwaiti sub-contractor but did not provide details. KBR's no-bid deal is set to be replaced with two competitively-bid contracts to rebuild Iraq's shattered oil infrastructure. Those new contracts, worth up to $2 billion, are set to be awarded between now and mid-January. © Reuters 2003. All Rights Reserved. [ image001.gif of type image/gif removed by lists.casi.org.uk - attachments are not permitted on the CASI lists ] _______________________________________________ Sent via the discussion list of the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq. To unsubscribe, visit http://lists.casi.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/casi-discuss To contact the list manager, email firstname.lastname@example.org All postings are archived on CASI's website: http://www.casi.org.uk