[casi] Rumsfeld Wins the "Foot in the Mouth" Award

Rumsfeld Ramble Wins UK 'Foot in Mouth' Award
Mon Dec 1,12:20 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A comment last year by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
on the hunt for Iraq (news - web sites)'s weapons of mass destruction was
awarded the "Foot in Mouth" prize Monday by Britain's Plain English
Campaign.

Rumsfeld, renowned for his uncompromising tough talking, received the prize
for the most baffling comment by a public figure.

"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me,
because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we
know," Rumsfeld told a news briefing.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are
some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones
we don't know we don't know."

John Lis! ter, spokesman for the campaign, which strives to have public
information delivered in clear, straightforward English, said: "We think we
know what he means. But we don't know if we really know."

Although Rumsfeld's comments were made at a news briefing in February 2002,
they were nominated for this year's award.

Rumsfeld, whose boss, President Bush (news - web sites), is often singled
out by language critics for his sometimes unusual use of English, defeated
actor-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) for the
booby prize.

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a
woman," the new California governor said.