Re: [casi] Pentagon investigating bribes in Iraq

Dear Yasser and list

Yasser's suggestion that the new programme for a transitional government was
a suggestion of the IGC is interesting and may well be right. I know Adnan
Pachachi, who seems to me a particularly interesting member of the IGC (the
website associated with him - http://www.iraqgroup.net/ - is an excellent
source of articles from a wide range of different points of view) has been
arguing for a radical expansion of the IGC. And the new proposals (given in
'Agreement on formation of Iraq's new government', posted to the list by
Andreas on 16th November) seem to answer the demand of Grand Ayatollah
Sistani for an elected body to prepare the new constitution.

However an Associated Press article recently posted to the list by Andreas -
'Shiite Criticizes Iraq Sovereignty Plan', 19th November, seems to suggest
otherwise. It quotes Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim as saying "The Iraqi people were
pushed aside and the Iraqi people should have an important role ... This
contradicts the principles of democracy" and "The situation is of concern
for all in the Governing Council ... Yesterday and the day before, it was
discussed and there's a consensus that this agreement was rushed. Such an
important matter as this needs thorough study before signing it."

So WAS it agreed unanimously?

It also seems to me odd that the Kurds would agree to it so easily, though
Talabani seems positively enthusiastic. Their main concern is establishing
the principle of a federal arrangement. The principle that the constitution
must be drafted 'by a body directly elected by the Iraqi people' seems to
put it into the hands of the Shi'i majority. Does this suggest that Talabani
has intimations that the Shi'i leadership would also favour a federal
arrangement (seems unlikely since Baghdad would presumably be out of the
'Shi'i' area)? Andreas also posted a Kurdish critique expressing doubts of
this order and reproaching Talabani for signing the greement (The US and
Iraqi Governing Council deny the Kurdish identity, 17 November 2003
KurdishMedia.com)

Peter