[casi] MARCH 20: World Still Says No to War!

*** PLEASE FORWARD FAR & WIDE ***
ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
MARCH 20th: The World Still Says No to War
MOMENTUM BUILDS FOR GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION
Momentum is building across the globe for the Global Day of Action against
War and Occupation on March 20, the one-year anniversary of the U.S. bombing
and invasion of Iraq.

On that day millions around the globe will take to the streets to say YES to
peace and NO to pre-emptive war and occupation. Joining with growing numbers
of military families and soldiers, we will call for an end to the occupation
of Iraq and Bush's militaristic foreign policies. March 20th will be the
first time the world's "other superpower," as the New York Times described
us, will take center stage since February 15th, when more than ten million
people across the globe expressed their opposition to Bush's looming war on
Iraq.

The US protests will also take on the war at home. We will express the
growing opposition to the so-called PATRIOT Act, authorizing political
arrests, indefinite detentions, domestic spying, and religious and racial
profiling. We will call for an end to the mass detentions and deportations
of innocent immigrants in the name of fighting terrorism. We will say no to
massive military spending amidst vast cuts in vital domestic social and
economic programs.

In September representatives of United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) took a
proposal for a global day of action on March 20th against pre-emptive war
and the occupation of Iraq to the preparatory meeting of the European Social
Forum (ESF), the body that put out the call for February 15th. UFPJ was
critical in moving delegates from Italy, the UK, Greece, Turkey, and
elsewhere to back global demonstrations on March 20th.

With strong support from much of the European anti-war movement, UFPJ's
Steering Committee decided in October to formally call for a Global Day of
Action on March 20th. We immediately promoted it on our website and in
emails to our national listserves. At the October 25th protest in
Washington, DC, UFPJ volunteers distributed thousands of leaflets that
included a "Save the Date" notice for March 20th. Before thousands of
demonstrators and on C-SPAN, UFPJ announced our call for actions on March
20th from the rally podium.

We anticipate the European Social Forum will formally approve this proposal
later this week. UFPJ, the ESF, and other anti-war activists will then build
support for March 20th at the January, 2004 meeting of the World Social
Forum in Mumbai, India.

UFPJ is pleased to have played a vital role in initiating and building
support for a broad-based, global day of action against war and occupation
on March 20th. We envision regional demonstrations in key cities across the
US and look forward to working with member groups and allies to build them.

Many member groups on UFPJ's Steering Committee are already actively
building March 20th. Military Families Speak Out, Veterans for Peace, US
Labor Against the War, Racial Justice 911: People of Color Against the War,
Not In Our Name, and other anti-war forces have expressed strong interest in
joining this call. A.N.S.W.E.R. recently announced they will participate in
March 20th activities.

For March 20th to be a success here in the US, the broadest range of forces
for peace and justice must be at the decision-making table and actively
involved in building this day. UFPJ looks forward to contributing to that
process.

It's not too early to begin building March 20th. Below are ideas on what you
can do.

GET OUT THE WORD
Circulate this email wide and far. UFPJ will soon have flyers, stickers, and
other resources available to help you get out the word.

HAVE YOUR GROUP ENDORSE MARCH 20TH
Email m20endorse@unitedforpeace.org or call UFPJ (212-868-5545) to let us
know your group is on board.

BEGIN PLANNING LOCAL MARCH 20th ACTIONS
Bring together local groups to plan March 20th actions in your community.

UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
http://www.unitedforpeace.org  212-868-5545

[ winmail.dat of type application/ms-tnef removed by lists.casi.org.uk -
   attachments are not permitted on the CASI lists ]