Re: [casi] The big issue for CASI not yet addressed directly

Dear Eric and list

Painful as it may be - and it may get more painful - this is a discussion
that is long overdue. My own view is that there is NOTHING any of us can do
for the moment either to help the reconstruction of Iraq (accepting the
occupation) or to help the resistance(s). At least there might be things one
can do but not on this list.

In other words I don't think CASI, whatever it is, can be a campaigning
organisation at the present time. There will be those who want to campaign
to get the US out of Iraq (where they pose a clear and present danger to
Iraq's neighbours, never mind the Iraqi people(s)); there will be those who
want to campaign against the privatisation of the Iraqi economy; there will
be those who want to develop arguments in favour of the privatisation of the
Iraqi economy; there is Justin Alexander's campaign for a 'jubilee' (he, I
think, has come closest to formulating a useful focussing idea); there are
those who will be anxious that Iraqi dates coming back on the market may be
contaminated with depleted uranium; there are those who will want an Islamic
country to have Islamic laws (I wish we could get a few of those on to the
list. We would then be getting a bit closer to the nitty gritty of the
country that interests us); there will be those who will want Iraq to be a
beacon of secularism etc etc etc  And in my view ALL these and the whole
multitude of other possible views should be expressed freely and untidily on
the list. The list's main focus - sanctions - has gone. CASI as a
campaigning organisation has effectively gone (for what it's worth I agree
with Rahul about the press statement welcoming 'the ending of sanctions' - I
gave my views on this in the news mailing at the time).

What is - or can be - left for the moment is information. I would have liked
CASI to be renamed the Iraq Information Centre. And then if anyone is able
to form definite ideas they want to campaign for they can form their own
groups elsewhere (without necessarily leaving the CASI list). I have long
been conducting a one-man campaign for the abolition of the UN Security
Council. The day I receive the sort of support that could constitute an
effective campaigning group I shall go off and work on that. But I would
still like to be able to use CASI purely and simply as a source of
information. That should be the main focus and what is missing at the moment
is someone to organise it and bang it into shape on the - or a new -
website.

Best wishes to all the different tendencies

Peter