Re: [casi] Off-topic Postings

In a message dated 11/11/03 4:03:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Muhamed.Ali@Hackney.gov.uk writes:

> They are abusing the freedom of
> expression in both new Iraq and abroad.

Typical of the Occupation Authority mentality.  Clearly you don't get the
concept of "freedom of expression."  What it means, is "freedom of expression,"
as opposed to "freedom to express that which you find palatable."

You accuse others of being apologists for that which you find horrific (we do
too) all the while apologizing for the horror of war perpetrated on the
people of Iraq, the destruction of the culture by the Occupation, and the
continuing marginalization of another society by Imperialistic and capitalistic forces.

The postings you dislike (whichever they are, seldom do you quote) are not
apologizing for Saddam, that is a simplistic interpretation of the content,
rather they are speaking out against violence- all violence.  I have never, in the
last two years of daily readings, read anything on this list that was
Pro-Saddam.  I find the man to be a vicious tyrant, but no less vicious than those
who strangle a society through the most brutal sanctions regime in modern
history, weekly bombings, and finally invasion and occupation.

So, while you accuse others of apologizing for the tyrant, you in fact
YOURSELF are apologizing for the warmakers and stranglers through the argument that
the "ends justify the means."  The primary problem with your notion, other
than its moral bankruptcy, is that those "means" are killing individuals and
terrorizing an entire society.  Frankly I don't see where your conduct is any
different from the fantastic assertions that you are making of others on this
list, other than of course no one is apologizing for Saddam, simply attempting to
add context to the discussion.

Roger Stroope
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff USA

"I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would
instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and
make a broken tyrant, into a latter-day Arab hero …" George H. W. Bush (41)

"...assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched
dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban
guerrilla war." George H. W. Bush (41)

"Bring 'em on!" George W. Bush (43) July 3, 2003