RE: [casi] Off-topic Postings

Dear List,

>Over the last week a relatively high stream of
postings has been going out on the list which are
essentially off-topic. The purpose of the list is to
discuss primarily the Iraqi humanitarian situation,
and the broader social, political, and economic
situation in Iraq, and what we can do to improve
these. Its purpose is not to discuss US and UK
policies and developments, unless they have a Direct
and Substantial bearing on the situation in Iraq.
Please restrict your postings accordingly, so that
list quality and coherence may be preserved.<

I searched the CASI List for posts since November 3rd.
Altogether 59 messages were posted, which I
categorized as follows:

1.Posts that may have a direct bearing on the
situation in Iraq (I have not included the replies to
messages):

03 Nov
* USINFO Through the Looking Glass - Mad Hatter
Returns
* Iraqi views on debt and reparations
* Sober warning from US expert on guerilla warfare
* Rebel war spirals out of control as US intelligence
loses the plot
* Blair waged war illegally, say leading lawyers

05 Nov
* Iraq's neighbours meet - a note
* During the 1990’s, Saddam cut spending on public
health by over 90%

06 Nov
* Terrorists from France to Iraq???
* pre-war talks for naught
* The final two? Da Silva and Tun Myat step aside
* Iraq Reportedly Tried for Last-Minute Deal to Avert
War

07 Nov
* Precious Iraq relics found in cesspool

8 Nov
* The new (and liberated) Alibabas
* (no subject)

09 Nov
* IPO News Analysis
* Hacks of Baghdad
* General Nizar Al Khazraji
* tactics of tyrants

10 Nov
* shocking pictures revealing US soldiers tying up
Iraqi women and children
* Iraqi ex-commander who fled Denmark found
* War Guilt in Iraq - Let justice be done
* Expertos de las Naciones Unidas critican la
'privatización' de Iraq
* Ritter on resistance in Iraq
* More on who attackers are; The Observer
* US 'wants Iraq council scrapped'
* Iraqification-A Losing Strategy
* Iraqification II
* New Iraq ' well on way to becoming Islamic state'
* Iraq is not America's to sell
* Why was the Red Cross in Baghdad attacked?
* Who was behind the Attack on the Red Cross in
Baghdad?
* Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War
* Iraqi Insurgents Take a Page From the Afghan
'Freedom Fighters'
* From Riverbend
* Collective Punishment for Downing Black Hawk?
* The New York Times' Friedman libels the Iraqi
resistance
* ICRC Pull Out
* (Fwd) Demand a Real Inquiry

11 Nov
* Al-Moharer 154
* The French Were Right

2. Posts that may not have a direct bearing on the
situation in Iraq:

* 03 Nov major alert from Scottish CND
* 4 Nov  Anti-bush TV campaign
* 8 Nov  Jessica Lynch Criticizes U.S. Accounts of Her
Ordeal
* 10 Nov Presidential advice/Bush clarifies funeral
protocols
* 10 Nov LA Weekly: Where are the Democrats and the
Peace Movement?
* 11 Nov BBC appoints news censor

Hard as I tried, I couldn’t find any “high stream” of
the off-topic postings to which Nicholas referred. 5
out of 59 can hardly be considered a large number.

Is it truly the purpose of this list ONLY to discuss
“the Iraqi humanitarian situation, and the broader
social, political, and economic situation in Iraq, and
what we can do to improve these”?

And how are we supposed to achieve that if we are NOT
supposed to discuss “US and UK policies and
developments”, which are the cause and reason behind
Iraq’s situation? And whose duty it is to "decide"
what post has "a Direct and Substantial bearing on the
situation in Iraq"?

Unless we discuss what the Bush administration and
Blair’s government decided, and treat the cause of an
illness, how can we try to correct the bad situation
or heal the ill?

HZ