[casi] LA Weekly: Where are the Democrats and the Peace Movement?

"Back in the spring, before the invasion of Iraq, the peace movement was
ahead of the curve, staking out a politically unpopular position. Now, I'm
afraid it has fallen behind. Majority public opinion is now opposed to the
war - at least in the inexplicable and unilateral way the Bush
administration is carrying out the occupation. But the American public is
too smart to believe the solution resides in the simplistic slogan of
immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops."

Comments?

Published by the November 7, 2003 issue of LA Weekly
<http://www.laweekly.com>

Iraq Spins Out of Control: Where are the Democrats and the Peace Movement?

by Marc Cooper

It's the Islamic world that celebrates the just-initiated holy month of
Ramadan - but it's George W. Bush who better start praying. Maybe we all
should.

The conservative spin machine and its White House engineers can whine and
sputter all they want about the supposed lack of good news from Iraq to be
found in the media, but the simple fact is that there just isn't any to be
reported.

Consider the toll of the past two weeks: 15 Americans killed in one missile
attack, an average of 25 attacks a day against U.S. troops, a tightly
coordinated string of car bombings, the shelling of the Al Rashid Hotel
housing none other than Paul Wolfowitz, an assault that basically chased the
Red Cross out of Iraq, escalated targeting of the newly trained police force
and a rumor campaign that forced the shutdown of Baghdad's public schools.
The casualty toll reached more than four dozen dead and 200 wounded.

Bush responds that the wholesale spilling of blood should be read as none
other than a sign of our "success," that the murder campaign in Iraq is but
a sign of desperation. Sure. We've heard this kind of reasoning before. War
Is Peace, Hate Is Love, Slavery Is Freedom. And that old standard: Arbeit
Macht Frei.

This official sense of denial is the scariest part of the whole Iraqi
debacle. At least Richard Nixon came into office recognizing that somehow or
other, the U.S. had to figure a way out of Vietnam. As wars go, Iraq's still
pretty small potatoes. But the unreality and rank politicization of the Bush
policy, its drift and deception, and its mounting human and economic cost
spell only continuing disaster.

Not that Congress, or the Democrats for that matter, plan to get in Bush's
way. The staggering $87 billion supplemental plan (read partial cost) passed
along by the White House for the splendid little adventure was formally
approved this past week without so much as a debate, let alone any sort of
meaningful protest. Even some centrist Democrats, like syndicated columnist
Matt Miller, were outraged at the obsequious rollover by their own party.

Here was a golden opportunity for some brave Democrat to revitalize the
entire national debate, Miller wrote last week, by staging a filibuster. Not
to deny the payment but to hold it hostage to a reversal of the Bush tax
cuts.

Such a move would have owed nothing to revenge but all to social justice.
What kind of fairyland is this nation living in when - with record deficits
- we continue to rebate taxes to the superwealthy while running up a tab of
tens of billions in Iraq? Now we know what Bush meant by "leave no child
behind." As a result of this shameful refusal to properly fund his own war
making, the president (and Congress) - by my calculations - has dropped
about a $1,500-per-head bill on each and every teenager in America. This is
an infinitely more important economic statistic than the much-ballyhooed 7
percent growth figure reported for this past quarter. Instead of the
Democrats blowing up the fiction of the Bush economic program - guns, no
butter, and tax cuts for the rich - they have left the door wide-open for a
GOP propaganda blitz.

On second thought, hoping the Democrats would provide real opposition is
much like thinking that my aunt could be my uncle - in either case they'd
have to grow a set of balls.

That leaves only the option of a citizens' movement. Back in the spring,
before the invasion of Iraq, the peace movement was ahead of the curve,
staking out a politically unpopular position. Now, I'm afraid it has fallen
behind. Majority public opinion is now opposed to the war - at least in the
inexplicable and unilateral way the Bush administration is carrying out the
occupation. But the American public is too smart to believe the solution
resides in the simplistic slogan of immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops.

Americans, unlike their government, would be more than ready to share the
burden, costs and responsibilities of occupation with the rest of the world
community. And that, indeed, is the only sensible way out of the morass.
Simply packing up and leaving 26 million Iraqis at the mercy of those who
now target the Red Cross, the U.N. and the incipient Iraqi authorities would
be one more crime against humanity. Those setting off car bombs in downtown
Baghdad are not some sort of romantic resistance, but rather are carrying
out the bloody and criminal traditions of the deposed Saddam Hussein
dictatorship.

The Bush administration had a shot at internationalizing the occupation last
month when it won a unanimous rubber-stamping of yet another U.N.
resolution. But as a friend remarked at the time, that "victory" was like a
bald man winning a free haircut. The White House's refusal to cede any of
its total control over Iraq guaranteed that no significant amount of foreign
troops or foreign funding for reconstruction will be forthcoming.

Instead, our children and our grandchildren will be paying for the war in
Iraq, long after George W. Bush will have quietly and unremarkably passed
into history. Iraq may, indeed, lead to the undoing of this administration.
Let's hope the country doesn't go down with the presidency.

Copyright 2003 LA Weekly