[casi] Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War

http://www.truthuncovered.com/home.cfm

"Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War,"

Truth Uncovered

"Interrupting a meeting on UN sanctions against Iraq
one day in March 2002, Bush popped in on national
security adviser Condi Rice. Getting a whiff of the
subject matter, W peremptorily waved his hand and told
her "Fuck Saddam. We're taking him out."

This controversial and arresting film takes you behind
the walls of government, as CIA, Pentagon and foreign
service experts speak out, many for the first time,
detailing the lies, misstatements and exaggerations
that served as the reasons to fight a "preemptive" war
that wasn't necessary. The war with Iraq brought about
unparalleled resistance, both in the streets and in
the chambers of government. This documentary offers an
in-depth look at the unsettling distortion of
intelligence and the "spin and hype" presented to the
American people, the Congress and the press. Fighting
wars to bring about regime change is in breach of
international law. Yet, throughout the fall of 2002,
and into the weeks preceding the war in Iraq, the Bush
administration systematically distorted intelligence
evidence and misled the public in order to turn
opinion favor of "regime change" in Iraq.

The film will present interviews with more than 20
experts, all of whom have informed opinions about the
reasons we were given for war and the evidence
presented to support those reasons. Some supported the
war itself but are deeply concerned about the way
information was misused. All believe it is their duty
to speak up.

Among those interviewed are former Ambassador Joe
Wilson, weapons inspectors Scott Ritter and David
Albright, anti-terrorism expert Rand Beers, former CIA
analyst Ray McGovern, former CIA operative Robert Baer
and Washington editor of The Nation, David Corn.

------------------------------
also:

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/03/11/int03031.html

November 3, 2003

Robert Greenwald, Producer/Director of "Uncovered: The
Whole Truth About the Iraq War," A New Documentary
That Reveals How the Bush Administration Lied the
Nation Into War

A BUZZFLASH INTERVIEW

"Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War,"
premiering on November 3rd, includes an A-team of
experts who have exposed the Bush administration lies
that deceived the nation. The Executive Producer is
Robert Greenwald, who also served in the same role for
"Unprecedented," which documented the theft of the
presidency in 2000.

This is the description of the "Uncovered" from the
TruthUncovered.com website: "This controversial and
arresting film takes you behind the walls of
government, as CIA, Pentagon and foreign service
experts speak out, many for the first time, detailing
the lies, misstatements and exaggerations that served
as the reasons to fight a 'preemptive' war that wasn't
necessary. The war with Iraq brought about
unparalleled resistance, both in the streets and in
the chambers of government. This documentary offers an
in-depth look at the unsettling distortion of
intelligence and the 'spin and hype' presented to the
American people, the Congress and the press. Fighting
wars to bring about regime change is in breach of
international law. Yet, throughout the fall of 2002,
and into the weeks preceding the war in Iraq, the Bush
administration systematically distorted intelligence
evidence and misled the public in order to turn
opinion favor of 'regime change' in Iraq."

A noted television and film producer, Greenwald is a
committed activist for democracy.

* * *

BUZZFLASH: "Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq
War" is a pretty inviting title for a documentary. It
begs the question, what did you uncover?

ROBERT GREENWALD: First, there are a large number of
people who have worked within the corridors of power
from the CIA to the Pentagon to weapons inspection to
foreign service -- people with hundreds of years of
service to our country who are upset, angry and
distraught at the lies that we have been told about
the war. And these people are willing to step forward
and go public. Some of these people were in favor of
the war -- and yet the way the pre-war information was
distorted by the Bush administration is of deep
concern to these true patriotic Americans.

We also uncover in the film that it is not just the
lies about weapons of mass destruction and terrorism.
There are a series of specific, smaller lies -- from
the infamous Niger-gate to the supposed chemical labs
to the information from Saddam’s relatives to the
alleged WMD trucks, which were, in reality, fire
trucks. It goes on and on.

BUZZFLASH: You interviewed an A-team of whistleblowers
and intelligence analysts who argue that the Bush
administration misled America into war. Tell us about
some of the people that are included in the film.

GREENWALD: I was deeply affected by the breadth of
those who have spent years and years working for the
government and feel it essential that they speak out.
Ambassador Joe Wilson is a smart, tough critter. They
messed with the wrong guy. He has all the skills of a
diplomat and the instincts of a hit man. He knows how
the game is played, and he took on Saddam. Now he is
taking on the Bushies; he won't bend or cave or run
for cover. We are lucky to have him on our side, the
side of the true patriots.

Ray McGovern worked for the CIA for over 20 years. His
duties included preparing the daily briefing for the
president when he worked there. He is a library of
information about what has gone on and what is going
on. He is fearless in what he says and committed to
getting the true story of how we were deceived out.

Bradley Kiesing was the first person to resign over
the war. He has an articulate and nuanced world view
and a profound understanding of how the politics of
the Bush administration is causing long-term havoc for
the U.S. throughout the world.

John Dean is a former Nixon aide who's famous for his
role in Watergate and is currently a respected legal
and political analyst. His analysis is from the point
of view of someone who has been inside. His
understanding of the legal implications as well as how
the presidency serves to muffle dissenting voices
provides important perspective.

David Albright, a scientist and a weapons inspector,
is very well respected in all quarters. He is careful
and reasoned, and he feels the misuse of the
information is clear and "borders on propaganda." This
is a man who has spent his life investigating weapons
around the world, and his credibility is beyond
question.

Those are just some of the people whom we interviewed
in the documentary, but that should provide you with a
good sense of the credibility of the individuals who
bolster the case that this administration lied us into
a war.

BUZZFLASH: Are there any new disclosures in the
documentary about the Bush administration’s campaign
of deception before, during and after the Iraq war?

GREENWALD: Like the documentary "Unprecedented: The
Story of the 2000 Florida Election Scandal," which I
executive produced, I don’t think there is a smoking
gun, but seeing the sum total of the deceptions is at
times overwhelming, and using the techniques of film
to tell the story makes it much, much clearer to all
of us on how we were misled. There is some new
information, there is some information that hasn’t
received its due, and there is lots that is made
clearer by the style of the film. You see it recreated
from footage in the Bushies’ own words, and then our
experts deconstruct what they falsely claimed.

BUZZFLASH: You are initially distributing the
documentary exclusively through the Internet. Why did
you choose that route?

GREENWALD: BuzzFlash, AlterNet, The Nation, and
MoveOn.org are leading the way in the Internet
distribution -- and we will all be notifying their
members and readers. This is a powerful, democratic
and alternate way to get the film into peoples’ hands.

I am very excited about our alternative distribution.
There will be screenings around the country, including
D.C., New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles. We
have different sponsors in different cities, and more
to come. I encourage all BuzzFlash readers to get a
copy and screen it, no permission necessary. Just let
us know so we can post it on the website. You can use
it at your school, club, church, or family
get-together, use it as fundraiser, use it to generate
discussion. The other part of the distribution pattern
is through the Internet, so that the gatekeepers can’t
stop us from getting the word out.

BUZZFLASH: Several months ago, we interviewed Earl
Katz, who worked with you in producing
"Unprecedented." That documentary details the theft of
the presidency in 2000. Now, you are launching a
documentary about the lies that led a nation into war.
We kind of get the feeling that you believe that the
slogan for the Bush Cartel should be "lie, cheat and
steal." Any thoughts on that?

GREENWALD: Well, I wouldn't want to put any words into
their mouth; they do a good enough job themselves! I
do think that we are facing a crisis in our democracy.
As true patriots, each and every one of us has to
speak up, speak out, and change those in charge. Our
democracy depends upon it.

BUZZFLASH: Are you planning a third documentary on the
betrayals committed by the Bush administration?

GREENWALD: "Unprecedented," "Uncovered" and, finally,
"Unconstitutional" are part of a trilogy I am working
on with Earl Katz, one of the great gifts that we have
in the progressive movement. Earl is a tireless
advocate for what is good and right.

Earl and I are part of a new entity, "Public Interest
Pictures," designed to use filmmaking skills to bring
this message to a larger public.

BUZZFLASH: You are an award-winning Hollywood producer
and co-founder of "Artists United to Win Without War."
You are investing a lot of time and money to document
how we as a nation are being sold down the river. Why?

GREENWALD: In the words of my grandmother: "What else
should we be doing?"
I have four children who affect every decision I make,
and the thought of not doing everything I possibly can
to affect the most important time in history -- well,
I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if
I didn’t do all I am capable of to stop the
destruction of my country.

BUZZFLASH: Lately, even the mainstream press has been
reporting on the confirmed lies of the Bush cartel as
they led us into war. But the revelations don't seem
"to have legs," as they say. There's little national
outrage, and the media and most Democrats in Congress
aren't raging about the Bush Cartel campaign of
orchestrated deception and how they betrayed the
nation. How will your documentary make a difference?

GREENWALD: I think that the film will be a tool for us
to use. The evidence is beyond question when you lay
it all out and you hear the experts say, "This is not
true ... This is not possible." My favorite section of
the film is when you see the Bushies try to switch the
argument from weapons of mass destruction to programs
that might develop WMDs. So now we went to war over a
program?

If people take the film and screen it whenever
possible for their social and professional networks,
we can continue to make a difference. It is one more
element we have to use in the ongoing effort to take
back our country.

A BUZZFLASH INTERVIEW