Re: [casi] Dying for a McDonald's in Iraq

Dear Mark and casi

Yes Mark we are dying in Iraq so that McDonald could open its Baghdad
branch. Just read the civilian casualty figures, the tens of thousands kill
by the occupation forces is a price "worth paying" for a McDonald hamburger,
remember Madlian Ulbright remarks?

We are paying other prices for a McDonald. We have no security at all in
Baghdad. Every thing stops after 3 pm. Baghdad is a ghost town after 6 pm.
We have NO telephones in most areas of Baghdad. One cannot call an
ambulance, fire department, or the police in case he needs them. Many of the
major streets in Baghdad have been blocked by three meter high concrete
walls, reminding me of the Berlin wall, to protect the people who are going
open for us, Iraqis, the McDonald hamburger restaurant.

Electricity is rationed in Baghdad, 2 hours on 4 hours off but we have to be
patient because we will have our McDonalds some time. The shortage of
electricity and the bad way it is distributed resulted in oil refineries not
getting enough continuous electrical power for their operation. This
resulted in short supply of gasoline at the stations. CPA found the
profitable solution the asked Halliburton to import oil from Turkey and
other places. Halliburton imported gasoline at a cost of $1.6 per gallon
compared to $0.05 it cost to produce, store, transport, and distribute Iraqi
refined oil.  Iraqi refineries could be operational in no time if it is
supplied with enough continuous electricity. This solution will NOT make
Halliburton fat! See my posting "Clear daylight rubbery"
"http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2003/msg04574.html"

 I am sure that casi members know how bad water, sanitation and health
service conditions were during the sanctions. I could tell you it is many
many time worse now. This will result in more people dying from preventable
diseases. I feel sorry for them because they couldn't wait long enough to
eat their McDonalds !

Thousands detained by the Americans, human rights violations , Billions go
unaccounted for, importing labor to take the place of the unemployed Iraqis
(60-70% unemployment) and . and  are all prices we are paying for the
McDonalds

In short, Mark, there will be more thousand and thousands of people dying,
and a lot of paying, before we can get a byte of a McDonald.

Best regards

Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar

Baghdad, occupied Iraq

Ps-1: I am communicating with the rest of the world through a satellite
internet connection (VSAT). It cost me $5000. I have a UK telephone number
ringing in Baghdad. We will not have telephone service, in our part of
Baghdad, for some time to come. If I call my sister in other part of Baghdad
I place an international call from the UK to Baghdad to connect me to my
sister few miles away! I hope I don't die before having my Big Mac! by then
it is "worth it"

Ps-2: Bert Gedin: Please my friend provide us with the latest human rights
reports on conditions under the occupation like you used to do before. Thank
you