From: casi-discuss-admin@lists.casi.org.uk [mailto:casi-discuss-admin@lists.casi.org.uk] On Behalf
Of Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Sent: 23 October 2003 13:48
To: casi
Subject: [casi] The New Alibabas

      Dear Casi

      <"This is Iraqi money. The people of Iraq must know where it is going."> !

      Best regards
      Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
      Baghdad, Occupied Iraq

      http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12857088,00.html

      IRAQ AID FUND SCANDAL

Billions of pounds earmarked for Iraq have vanished after being handed to the US-controlled
governing body, a study has revealed.
At least £3.1bn has been passed to the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), leading UK aid agency
Chrisitan Aid calculates.

But figures unearthed by the charity show only a fifth of those development funds have been
accounted for.

And Christian Aid says the missing £2.4bn "black hole" will double by the end of the year unless
the CPA's accounts are made public.

Tony Blair has been challenged to account for the cash as a United Nations-backed donors conference
gets under way in Madrid.

The Prime Minister and US President George Bush last week won a new UN resolution calling for
international contributions of money and troops.

Those donations will go into a new fund overseen by the UN and the World Bank.

But failure to show where the existing cash has gone will fuel suspicion among Iraqis that large
amounts are being creamed off by US firms given contracts to rebuild the country, Christian Aid
said.

One senior European diplomat told the charity: "We have absolutely no idea how the money has been
spent.

"I wish I knew, but we just don't know. We have absolutely no idea."

Roger Riddell, Christian Aid's international director, called the situation "little short of
scandalous".

He said: "The British Government must use its position of second in command of the CPA to demand
full disclosure of this money and its proper allocation in the future.

"This is Iraqi money. The people of Iraq must know where it is going."

[ x.gif of type image/gif removed by lists.casi.org.uk -
   attachments are not permitted on the CASI lists ]