[casi] outremer and godfrey of boykin

hello all,
many of my foreign friend have wondered how and why bush became president of
the united states even though he lost the general election. i knew how and
explained it frequently, but could not understand nor explain why.  general
boykin, thank god, has clarified all of that:

-----General Boykin said God had selected George W. Bush as president. "Why
is this man in the White House?" he asked. "The majority of Americans did not
vote for him. Why is he there? And I tell you this morning that he's in the
White House because God put him there for a time such as this."....

any interest in joining his crusade? contact the revs. jerry falwell or frank
graham if you are unable to reach our boy-king george.
tony

October 17, 2003
THE MILITARY
Rumsfeld Says Anti-Islam Aide Is 'Outstanding'
By REUTERS

ASHINGTON, Oct. 16 (Reuters) — Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld declined
on Thursday to criticize a senior Pentagon intelligence official who has told
evangelical gatherings that Muslims worship an "idol" and not "a real God,"
and instead praised the general's "outstanding" military record.
Lt. Gen. William Boykin of the Army, deputy under secretary of defense for
intelligence and war-fighting support, has used speeches at churches and prayer
breakfasts to portray the American battle with Muslim radicals as a fight
against "Satan," saying militant Islamists sought to destroy America "because
we're a Christian nation."
NBC News broadcast videotapes of General Boykin, an evangelical Christian,
giving a number of speeches while wearing his military uniform at religious
functions around the country.
In one speech, the general recalled a Muslim fighter in Somalia who said
American forces would never get him because Allah would give him protection.
"Well, you know what I knew — that my God was bigger than his," General
Boykin told his audience. "I knew that my God was a real God, and his was an idol."
At a Pentagon briefing, Mr. Rumsfeld declined to answer when asked whether it
was appropriate or advisable for a high-ranking Pentagon official to make
such remarks in public, and did not say whether he would investigate.
"We do know that he is an officer that has an outstanding record in the
United States Armed Forces," Mr. Rumsfeld said.
"There are a lot of things that are said by people in the military, or
civilian life, or in the Congress, or in the executive branch, that are their views,
and that's the way we live," Mr. Rumsfeld said. "We're a free people."
"Saddam Hussein could do it pretty well, because he'd go around killing
people if they said things he didn't like," he added.
"The only thing I would say is there is a very wide gray area on what the
rules permit," said Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
"At first blush, it doesn't look like any rules were broken."
In another speech, General Boykin said God had selected George W. Bush as
president. "Why is this man in the White House?" he asked. "The majority of
Americans did not vote for him. Why is he there? And I tell you this morning that
he's in the White House because God put him there for a time such as this."
Describing America's fight with Islamic extremists, General Boykin also said:
"The enemy is a spiritual enemy. He's called the principality of darkness.
The enemy is a guy called Satan."
General Myers said that if a member of the military was speaking "in a
private capacity, it's probably appropriate not to wear a uniform, but there are
always exceptions to that." He noted that he has spoken at a prayer breakfast in
uniform.
Mr. Rumsfeld also reminded reporters that Bush has said "the war on terrorism
is not a war against a religion."
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington-based civil rights
group, called General Boykin's comments "bigoted," and demanded that the
Pentagon reassign him.
"Putting a man with such extremist views in a critical policy-making position
sends entirely the wrong message to a Muslim world that is already skeptical
about America's motives and intentions," said Nihad Awad, the group's
executive director.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search |
Corrections | Help | Back to Top