[casi] Iraqis fight back

At our Sunday meeting of the Committee to End the Occupation of Iraq, I used
this account of events in Bagdad on Wednesday, October 1, from the
Philadelphia Inquirer (entire article below). These five paragraphs are a vivid
description of a people who are not defeated and demoralized, but are standing up
against the occupation and in this case successfully forcing the occupation forces
to back off.

In Solidarity
Bob Allen

"... According to witnesses, Wednesday's incident began after American
soldiers in a humvee and an artillery ammunition carrier arrived before dusk to
investigate a demonstration at al Bayai mosque, in a southwestern Baghdad slum
populated mostly by Shiites. Soldiers had tried to arrest Sheik Moayed al
Khazraji, a militant cleric there, two days earlier but were chased away by an angry
crowd. When soldiers arrived Wednesday, a cleric with a bullhorn was whipping
up the crowd.
"If we give you the order, are you ready to fight the Americans?" witnesses
quoted the cleric as saying. "Are you willing to be crushed by American tanks?
Are you ready to fight for Islam?"

When the U.S. soldiers arrived, the crowd surged toward them, pelting their
vehicles with stones. A soldier on one vehicle responded by firing a
.50-caliber machine gun over the demonstrators' heads.

The situation gave the Iraqi police officers standing about 100 yards away
little choice, the officers said.

"When they started shooting at the mosque, we started shooting at them," said
Jassim Mohammed, 35, an Iraqi police officer. "We started shooting because we
are Muslims first and policemen second. Besides, our job isn't to protect the
Americans. It is to protect Iraqis."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/6932974.htm

U.S. troops, Iraqi militias at odds over security roles Sunday, Oct. 05, 2003
By Drew Brown INQUIRER FOREIGN STAFF

BAGHDAD - Shiite Muslim militiamen swagger in increasing numbers through the
streets around Baghdad's mosques and elsewhere in Iraq these days, openly
carrying AK-47 rifles, pistols and other weapons in defiance of the U.S.-backed
Coalition Provisional Authority.
"Our position is that we are not going to tolerate militias," Lt. Gen.
Ricardo Sanchez, the top coalition commander, said Thursday. "And where we find
them, we are going to go ahead and disarm them."
The militias threaten to undermine the central authority of the U.S.-led
coalition. They are becoming a headache for American troops and a nascent Iraqi
security apparatus struggling to establish law and order six months after Saddam
Hussein's ouster.
And American forces are not sure how to respond: If they crack down too hard,
they risk more armed confrontations, a situation that could spin out of
control quickly.
Iraq is awash in guns, and there are many armed groups associated with the
various political parties, especially with the powerful exiles on Iraq's interim
Governing Council. But the resurgent Shiite militias are a special case. Long
persecuted under Saddam, they are relishing their newfound political and
social freedom, and many vow to die rather than give up those liberties.
On Wednesday, U.S. soldiers exchanged fire with a group of about 50
militiamen and police at a Baghdad mosque. Miraculously, no one was hurt, and the
soldiers withdrew to avoid risking a bloody confrontation.
The exchange illustrates the fine line that American troops must tread in
trying to establish security while avoiding inflaming tensions with the country's
Shiite majority, whose cooperation is essential to a stable future in the
country.
It also underscores that in dealing with these new vigilante gangs, U.S.-led
forces may find themselves in the cross hairs of the newly established Iraqi
police forces.
Torn between loyalties, the police are more likely to side with their
countrymen.
[...]
Sanchez said this was the first he was aware of Iraqi police deliberately
firing on American soldiers.
The militias formed mainly in Baghdad and the southern city of Najaf, about
90 miles south of Baghdad and home to the holiest shrine of the Shiite branch
of Islam, after the assassination Aug. 29 of Ayatollah Mohammad Baqir al Hakim.
Hakim was a Saddam foe who led the 10,000-strong Badr Brigade, an exile group
that fought on the side of the Iranians in their 1980-88 war with Iraq and
waged a low-level guerrilla campaign against Saddam in southern Iraq for years
afterward. Hakim died in a car bombing outside the Najaf shrine that killed at
least 78 other people and wounded more than 100.
After American-led forces ousted Saddam, the Badr Brigade voluntarily
disarmed. But after Hakim was assassinated, its members began appearing in the
streets of Najaf, frustrated by the lack of protection from coalition forces.
In Baghdad, coalition authorities have yet to deal effectively with a problem
that took shape Aug. 31 during Hakim's funeral at the city's Khadimiya
mosque, a prominent Shiite shrine in the northwest of the city: As hundreds of
thousands of mourners packed the streets, hundreds of armed Badr Brigade militiamen
were posted in the crowd and dozens kept a tight security cordon around
Hakim's coffin.
U.S. soldiers had stayed away to avoid angering the crowd. And they have cut
a wide swath around the mosque in the weeks since Hakim's death.

Contact reporter Drew Brown at dbrown@krwashington.com.