[casi] Chalabi in Washington!

I wonder how the IPO would “analyze” this piece of
information!!

>Chalabi also said he would like the United States to
establish permanent military bases in Iraq. He
stressed that was his opinion, not necessarily the
council's.

Iraq has excellent flying weather and several good
airports, Chalabi said, noting U.S. air bases in
nearby Turkey, Kuwait and Qatar and a recently closed
base in Saudi Arabia.<

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030930/ap_on_re_mi_ea/chalabi_interview_1

AP: Chalabi Pushes Iraq Defense Forces

Tue Sep 30, 5:41 PM ET
By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON - Iraq's civilian leaders want more control
over the $20.3 billion in U.S. reconstruction money
that the Bush administration is seeking from Congress,
the interim head of Iraq's governing council said
Tuesday.

The push by Ahmad Chalabi and other governing council
members for greater political and financial control
has raised concerns among Bush administration
officials reluctant to turn over billions of dollars
to an unelected group.

"We make no claims on these funds at all," Chalabi
said in an Associated Press interview on a visit to
Washington. "What we say is we should have further
consultations with them on what projects the money
will be spent on."

Chalabi said Iraqi bankers and finance officials
should have an equal voice running the financing of
the country's postwar reconstruction. "We would like
to enhance the consultation process," Chalabi said.
The Iraqi Governing Council "would like to have more
of a say on how the $20 billion is spent."

Overall, the Bush administration asked Congress for an
$87 billion package for military operations and
reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan. About $20.3
billion would go to the Coalition Provisional
Authority in Iraq, headed by American occupation
administrator L. Paul Bremer III.

Senior Bush administration officials have said
repeatedly in recent days that they will not cede
control of the money to a group of unelected
officials. The governing council members were picked
by Bremer's coalition authority.

The $20 billion slated for reconstruction projects has
proved the more contentious part of the $87 billion
that Bush seeks, with even GOP senators showing signs
of unease and discussing the prospect of providing at
least part of it as loans instead.

Chalabi, whose term as rotating president of the
council ends Wednesday, said Tuesday after meeting
with lawmakers that a loan "would be an added burden
on the Iraqi people, ... and it would also show that
the United States was less than sincere on the issue
of freedom."

Chalabi said in the AP interview that some Iraqi
ministers provided advice to Bremer on reconstruction
priorities, but overall the process of compiling needs
was conducted very quickly by the Americans with
little Iraqi involvement.

Senate Minority leader Thomas Daschle, D-S.D., told
reporters the Iraqis told him they had not been
consulted about the administration's package or given
an opportunity to express their views. The Iraqis told
Congress there should be many changes, and "we share
that view," Daschle said.

Chalabi, a longtime Iraqi exile and head of an
anti-Saddam Hussein group called the Iraqi National
Congress, had significant, and controversial,
influence on America's Iraq policy before the war,
through his contacts in Washington. Chalabi and
defectors presented by his group were among key
sources for U.S. intelligence that claimed Saddam had
chemical and biological weapons before the United
States and Britain invaded in March. No such weapons
have been found during the six weeks of major combat
that drove Saddam from office or subsequently.

Chalabi continued to insist Tuesday that Saddam had
weapons of mass destruction, but he offered no
evidence to back up that assertion.

He foresees that U.S. forces will be needed in Iraq
for a long time to protect the country from unfriendly
neighbors. But Chalabi insisted they should be kept in
garrisons for their protection, and Iraqi security
forces should take a greater role in protecting Iraqi
civilians.

"American forces, as quickly as we can, should not be
in the streets," he said.

The United States so far has trained only about 6,000
members of the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps, although
some of them already are patrolling and doing other
security work with American troops.

Chalabi also said he would like the United States to
establish permanent military bases in Iraq. He
stressed that was his opinion, not necessarily the
council's.

Iraq has excellent flying weather and several good
airports, Chalabi said, noting U.S. air bases in
nearby Turkey, Kuwait and Qatar and a recently closed
base in Saudi Arabia.

In the meantime, the Bush administration's hope that
the Iraqis could write a constitution in about six
months' time could go by the wayside.

In Baghdad, an Iraqi committee struggling to come up
with a method for choosing a constitutional convention
decided Tuesday to offer several options, including
elections, which one council member said could take as
long as 18 months to prepare.

"We are having a difficult time," Chalabi admitted.
"We want a constitution which is acceptable to all
faiths and origins. ... We want to do that no matter
how long that takes."

At the State Department Tuesday, spokesman Richard
Boucher said, "It is ultimately for the Iraqis to
decide how quickly they can do this."
Still, Boucher said, "We think it can be done in six
months."

The Iraqis also had an unannounced meeting with
Condoleezza Rice, President Bush's national security
adviser.