Re: [casi] Media and press agencies cooperating in faking mass grave sites?

> In light of the revelations in the Bulletin magazine of Australia,
> that an ABC photojournalist killed in Northern Iraq had also been
> free-lancing for Rendon Group - an important CIA subcontractor - its
> worth remembering just how powerful images can be in shaping the
> publicīs view of the morality of their governmentīs actions.

Thank you Tom.  As a contextual note, it is worth bearing in mind that
mass killings by the previous Iraqi regime are well-documented.
Whether any particular photo turns out to be doctored does not
influence this.

(The distinction reminds me of what we discussed around the Sweeney
feature on the Iraqi government stage-managing baby funerals.  Some
circles interpreted this to mean that there was not actually an
elevated level of child suffering and death in Iraq under the
sanctions.)

Best,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of
Birmingham
| Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414
3754 | (+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax)

(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk