Re: [casi] Opinion polls

I don't know which polls Hari is referring to, (perhaps one of his
interviewees could clarify?) but I'd guess the
yougov/spectator/channel 4 survey which Mil referred to a few days ago.
It's at
http://www.channel4.com/news/2003/07/week_3/images/iraq_survey.html, and
shows 50% of baghdad residents supporting the war, against 27% who oppose
it. I have no idea what the methodology was (I'd guess such a poll would
be heavily influenced by, for example, whether the interviewers identified
themselves as British), but the difference between pro- and anti-war is
enormous, and it's certainly very troubling for those of us who opposed
war.

Has anyone come across other polls of public opinion in Iraq? The only
three I'm aware of are the one above, the zogby poll, and one by
Physicians for Human Rights at
http://www.phrusa.org/research/iraq/docs/iraqsurvey.pdf, which asks about
experiences of human rights abuse, and views on preferred government and
justice.

I'd love to see more polls - most of the media coverage seems to be
devoted to particular incidents and personal stories, and I find it very
hard to work out how representative they are.

Best to all,
Dan